• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting In Shape for 2016/17

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm... the chart is interesting. How many people actually play football recreationally? I mean in terms of comparing it to these other sports. It just seems a strange mix of things to include. Why not do an apples to apples comparision, by using various fitness programs instead of random sports that may or may not be strictly recreational (do the stats include collegiate play? high school? flag football?)? It just doesn't really mean much to me in terms of providing legit statistics. I mean gymnastics and other Olympic sports in the same box as these other things? Is Crossfit considered a sport? Or a fitness regime? Bogus survey/analysis if you ask me.
Crossfit is a sport, they have their own games and the programming and marketing revolve around the sport of fitness. I don't think Zuma, jazzercize, bootcamp etc has ever been controversial enough to have collected data to put on the chart.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i hope the strength training is helping with back issues you have. I've been dealing with that too. My workouts have definitely helped.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm... the chart is interesting. How many people actually play football recreationally? I mean in terms of comparing it to these other sports. It just seems a strange mix of things to include. Why not do an apples to apples comparision, by using various fitness programs instead of random sports that may or may not be strictly recreational (do the stats include collegiate play? high school? flag football?)? It just doesn't really mean much to me in terms of providing legit statistics. I mean gymnastics and other Olympic sports in the same box as these other things? Is Crossfit considered a sport? Or a fitness regime? Bogus survey/analysis if you ask me.
Are you talking about the Olympic sport comparison I linked? That's one webpage of a website developed a Dr. Susan Ott, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington, to teach middle school students about bones. Clearly picked a few different sports that the kids may like or think about doing as they enter high school.

https://depts.washington.edu/bonebio/

I found that webpage when I looked around Dr. Ott's website for adults, including physicians.

https://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
MovNat has been my main workout structure since the spring. I even became a Level 2 certified trainer! We cover a whole host of natural human movements grouped into 10 skill categories- walking, running, balancing, crawling, jumping, vaulting, climbing, lifting, throwing, carrying, and catching. I've noticed my balance is MUCH better, so I'm expecting to see that translate well to skiing. My hips are a lot more open and mobile since practicing it too and I'm expecting to see that benefit my skiing as well (I have the most trouble with the rotary portion of movement because of the tight hips). And I've been doing A LOT more jumping to precisions landings. Another great prep for skiing. One of my coaches who is a PSIA examiner has commented to me about how different/better my posture is even from last season and that he can already see that I move better.

MovNat coaches at length on selective tension/relaxation, efficiency in movement and mindfulness in movement- all thing that translate to skiing!!! In fact, I chuckled to see this same language in the Biomechanics chapter of my Alpine Tech Manual earlier today.

The proof will be in the pudding so to speak, so we'll see what happens when I actually get on the snow this year, but I'm expecting good things.

So is this guy, if you happen to speak German...

He's actually training with MovNat's founder, Erwan Le Corre, in a brand new facility dedicated to Natural Movement training in Vienna. One of the facilities co-founders is an orthopedic surgeon, so I dare say, these folks know what's up when it comes to training/rehab/biomechanics.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2nd night of CrossFit tonight. Learned back and front squat. Practiced with just a 15 lb. bar and then he added two 10 lbs weights. He said I'm starting out from a pretty good flexibility place but man I felt like I had no range of motion in my legs and shoulders. Sad. Also, so many things to try and remember (feet facing forward, knees out, fold over, butt back, maintain arch in feet aka grip floor with big toe, elbows up... ).

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
My main fitness regimen is kickboxing. I go to a class twice a week, working up to three times a week. We use 100 lb punching bags, wrapped hands and MMA gloves. Inorporated into kickboxing are a lot of warmup moves that involve balance and flexibility and lots of core work. My weak hip flexors and slowly getting stronger. My reflexes are getting much faster, and my strength and stamina is increasing. The belly fat that had started to increase (I'm 50) is now dissipating. I also like that I'm learning some self-defense!

My instructor is a women's national jujitsu champion, and at 4'8", she's a powerhouse. She is excellent at modifying moves when said move is too difficult for someone who may be dealing with injury. She also makes our workouts fun....no one is ever the same, and she moves around to give everybody individual feedback. She pushes us hard, but she makes us laugh, too:smile:

I have the option to work with an individual trainer in the boxing ring. I'm not ready for that year, though it would be cool!

I also run half marathons. I only run about 3x a week, and like the quiet meditative time that this provides. I have arthritis in my left knee and actually, running has kept it at bay, probably because steady aerobic exercise increases blood flow and builds capillaries, and is good for the heart (my resting HR is now in the 40's).

I used to lift weights when I was a competitive cyclist; I got injured for doing too much weight.(Broken lumbar vertebrae that took months to heal). I have no desire to lift weights anymore, but......doing so is really important for strength building. I just have to use body weight exercises, a 100 lb bag, and a medicine ball instead.

Everyone has their own best method of working out. There's definitely no one size fits all! I've enjoyed reading about everyone's varying routines here. It will be fun come ski season to see who feels their exercise routine has really benefitted their skiing.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2nd night of CrossFit tonight. Learned back and front squat. Practiced with just a 15 lb. bar and then he added two 10 lbs weights. He said I'm starting out from a pretty good flexibility place but man I felt like I had no range of motion in my legs and shoulders. Sad. Also, so many things to try and remember (feet facing forward, knees out, fold over, butt back, maintain arch in feet aka grip floor with big toe, elbows up... ).
Front rack position is hard for everyone - it takes time. Alot of times with the squat it's less actual range of motion in the hips and more lack of strength at the end range - which comes pretty quickly once you start squatting. I bet your flexibility is great.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My main fitness regimen is kickboxing. I go to a class twice a week, working up to three times a week. We use 100 lb punching bags, wrapped hands and MMA gloves. Inorporated into kickboxing are a lot of warmup moves that involve balance and flexibility and lots of core work. My weak hip flexors and slowly getting stronger. My reflexes are getting much faster, and my strength and stamina is increasing. The belly fat that had started to increase (I'm 50) is now dissipating. I also like that I'm learning some self-defense!

My instructor is a women's national jujitsu champion, and at 4'8", she's a powerhouse. She is excellent at modifying moves when said move is too difficult for someone who may be dealing with injury. She also makes our workouts fun....no one is ever the same, and she moves around to give everybody individual feedback. She pushes us hard, but she makes us laugh, too:smile:

I have the option to work with an individual trainer in the boxing ring. I'm not ready for that year, though it would be cool!

I also run half marathons. I only run about 3x a week, and like the quiet meditative time that this provides. I have arthritis in my left knee and actually, running has kept it at bay, probably because steady aerobic exercise increases blood flow and builds capillaries, and is good for the heart (my resting HR is now in the 40's).

I used to lift weights when I was a competitive cyclist; I got injured for doing too much weight.(Broken lumbar vertebrae that took months to heal). I have no desire to lift weights anymore, but......doing so is really important for strength building. I just have to use body weight exercises, a 100 lb bag, and a medicine ball instead.

Everyone has their own best method of working out. There's definitely no one size fits all! I've enjoyed reading about everyone's varying routines here. It will be fun come ski season to see who feels their exercise routine has really benefitted their skiing.
Good for you, kickboxing is HARDCORE!

Kickboxing is fun too. I did it for a while when I lived in Cali and in addition to it being a great workout and fun it is fabulous to kick something after a hard days' work. What a great aggression 'getter outer' :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Front rack position is hard for everyone - it takes time. Alot of times with the squat it's less actual range of motion in the hips and more lack of strength at the end range - which comes pretty quickly once you start squatting. I bet your flexibility is great.

My shoulders are a real problem with any variation of squats involving the bar. My trainer had me working on it for ... some form of lifting thingie, which you could no doubt name, where that position with palms up is necessary.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My shoulders are a real problem with any variation of squats involving the bar. My trainer had me working on it for ... some form of lifting thingie, which you could no doubt name, where that position with palms up is necessary.
Palms up, 2 fingers on the bar, elbows out? That would be front rack. I think it takes the average person 6 months to a year to find it. It's super awkward at first for sure.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Palms up, 2 fingers on the bar, elbows out? That would be front rack. I think it takes the average person 6 months to a year to find it. It's super awkward at first for sure.

Yeah. My shoulders are tight enough that just putting my hand behind my back, at the small of my back, hurts.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Believe it or not, I am NOT a naturally flexible person. My flexibility as a gymnast was something I had to work for as a kid, and I don't have it back yet as an adult.

@bounceswoosh I feel your pain with front rack.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, no kidding! After the first class I took, they had to practically pick me up off the floor. It took about a month to get used to it! It's an hour of nonstop intense movement.

I miss martial arts. It was my primary activity 10th grade through college. I got back into it just before I moved to Colorado. Couldn't find a good fit in the Boulder area. Then a few years ago I found a krav maga studio that I loved, but then they closed down. *sigh* The krav maga people were kind of floored (metaphorically) by my kicks on the bag - even out of practice, years of TKD muscle memory did its job.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah. My shoulders are tight enough that just putting my hand behind my back, at the small of my back, hurts.

Oh, wow. That sounds pretty tight.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I miss martial arts. It was my primary activity 10th grade through college. I got back into it just before I moved to Colorado. Couldn't find a good fit in the Boulder area. Then a few years ago I found a krav maga studio that I loved, but then they closed down. *sigh* The krav maga people were kind of floored (metaphorically) by my kicks on the bag - even out of practice, years of TKD muscle memory did its job.
....muscle memory is why I have to do it at least twice a week, or three times. Repetition, repetition, repetition. The roundhouse kick is the hardest for me, in terms of positioning myself properly compared to the bag.

I was watching the owner spar with another woman last night, very cool! (especially because both were in Halloween costumes)!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, no kidding! After the first class I took, they had to practically pick me up off the floor. It took about a month to get used to it! It's an hour of nonstop intense movement.
Seriously it's a hard workout. I was a middle distance runner, it would take me a month just to figure out how to pace myself to make it through the whole hour. Good for you though, I'm impressed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly