• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick Halfpipe tip for beginner?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend will probably be it for me for the season, and since crowds are so light I thought it might be fun to try out the halfpipe at Okemo just to get a feel for what it's like (Don't worry: I plan to take lots of lessons next season).

I don't mean that I want to catch air, I just want to ski gently through it to get a feel for how to control my speed, and maybe go up on the transition a bit and see what it feels like to turn back toward the flat.

I won't get in anyone's way--would only do it if it's empty, which it generally is in the am. But if there is any pipe etiquette that I should know, please share!

Thanks!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I've never been a halfpipe, but there is a 'natural' halfpipe at the top of Lake Louise, in an area called the playground, that we often play in. So I don't have much advice to give, but I'll just mention a few things that surprised me the first time I dropped in. First of all, I assumed that the halfpipe was going to be like gully skiing. And it kind of is, but not entirely. I assumed I would lose speed going up on the sides a bit, but I was shocked and how quickly I built up speed and how hard it was to shake. So, I would say, check your speed a little because it is really easy to pick up speed in a halfpipe. The other thing is that turning feels really different to me in a halfpipe - basically, it is much easier to go almost straight up the sides (i.e. your skis should be close to a 90 degree angle with the top of the pipe, and then turn when you are up the sides, so as to almost create an upside-down U shape on the top of the pipe (does that make sense?). I found turning to be quite difficult, especially when trying to simultaneously control my speed.
Have fun!!!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have only been in a half-pipe during a regular lesson drill at Mammoth, so cannot speak specifically to half-pipe, BUT in Taos this year my instructor had me skiing up and down the walls along the runs to help me practice the technique for very quick turns. This activity is now my favorite thing to do!!! The drill is to drive ( not pressure it onto an edge) the outside ski as you would to initiate any turn and keep your inside leg really loose and just coming along for the ride. You ski straight up the wall and turn quickly at the highest point you wish, but you're still pressuring the outside ski on the way down, inside leg loose with your knee closer to your chest. This drill helps create the feeling you need for moguls, tight spots, etc. You have to have a little speed going into it to maintain momentum to ski upwards. I don't know if I have described this very well at all, but I found this to be the best way for my legs to experience the required sensation and position for nice short turns. An important idea to remember is that you want to feel your foot pressuring downward onto the outside ski from inside the boot. Feel your feet in the boots, skis will usually follow suit.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, badger and ski girl. That helps a lot! I definitely was surprised by how quickly I gained speed; badger, the tip about driving the outside ski is very helpful: it's hard to see exactly what skiers are doing when they make those turns, so I was very much not sure what to do with my feet--whether I should stay flat, carve, etc. Thanks for the advice!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmm its about the hop turn, and going faster..... . DD read this post and thought maybe this video would help....
PSIA-AASI Go With A Pro: Halfpipe Tip for Skiing and Snowboarding

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For speed management the video above quickly touches on increasing speed by pointing it more down the half pipe. To counter that speed see how many times you can go across the center line in one run. Aim almost straight across from where you were on one side towards the other side rather than down towards the end of the half pipe to minimize your speed.

As far as etiquette, it would be similar to a terrain park if there are people at the top, make sure you wait yout turn and call you turn when you are ready to go by saying "dropping in" and even "next drop" if the line is long. If someone is hurt, it's always a good idea to stand in the pipe with your poles making an x overhead to alert others to the downed skier/rider, while waiting for patrol. Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly