• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running support and motivation?

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
Fall running is so great! With the storms last week, the surrounding mountains are all capped with white. Hopefully they will stay that way.

Rosie and I had a nice run this morning. We covered 7 miles. I probably would have gone longer, but I have to be careful with Rosie since she was injured this summer. It's so hard to leave her at home now that she is allowed easy running & hiking.

Last weekend I headed out towards a crater that is on the station. It's pretty cool. I wasn't sure how far it was along the range roads and trails, but I think it's about 11 miles round trip. I went out until I could see a landmark and figured it was atleast another mile, but I knew I needed to turn around and head home. My gps tracker showed 9 miles, which is my longest run so far this year. So, now that's my goal for next weekend, to make it to the crater and back.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a beautiful run with views of Calgary and 8:20 km pace is great! I'm super slow, especially on trails. I managed to get in 8 miles (12.8km) Sunday morning. There was some snow higher up in the mountains for some nice views. It's pretty much gone now but soon it will be here to stay! The cooler mornings have been great for long runs on the weekends.

My black lab has started joining me on my shorter week day runs in the evenings. It's fun to have her with me again. She such a happy dog and I've missed her company.

I'm trying to debate what to do about running as it gets darker earlier. When the time changes again, I may be able to get out in the mornings. I'm debating a headlamp. I guess the good thing is that there really isn't anyone around to see me. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, there is no light whatsoever plus there are beasties out there!
I ran for years with a headlamp early morning and at night. It works - some of the cheaper older ones work better than the newer ones actually. Im not sure if the new ones are LED but they aren't as bright distance wise and oddly the cars don't seem to be able to see them as well. I would also get a cheap kids bike light and put it on flashing mode on my dogs collar as well.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm feeling pretty triumphant tonight. I am still working toward my first 5k on Thanksgiving day, and interval training following Danny Dreyer's 5k training program. I'm up to running three reps of 10 mins running/2 mins walking. My pace still puts me at about a 11-12 minute mile, and I could not possibly care less about my time because I feel great!

I've also been following the "Fast Metabolism" eating plan at the recommendation of my doctor. I've lost 16 pounds so far and I'm eating like a horse.

I'm really looking forward to ski season. This is the best shape I've been in in years!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did 5x (1 minute walk / 1 minute jog) today at PT. I'm pretty chuffed! My knee didn't even b*tch about it too much, thanks largely to my trainer's application of kinesio tape.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG, I feel like such a slacker now!

I've been at this running thing for almost 4 years and I still can't do a 5K in under 45 mins (or even run the whole thing without walking :frown:).

I have done 3 5K "races" now, all glow runs at night (totally a blast!!) and I'm signed up for my first daytime 5K trail race on the 12th.

Even though I'm still on a 16+ pace, I have lost almost 20 lbs and had to buy a new belt last weekend. :yahoo:

I've been running in the Under Armour Assert series for road and the Asics Gel Venture for trail running, but I got a pair of Hoka One One Bondis this summer and I am SOLD! My lungs and heart are giving out long before my legs and feet now!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
OMG, I feel like such a slacker now!

I've been at this running thing for almost 4 years and I still can't do a 5K in under 45 mins (or even run the whole thing without walking :frown:).

I have done 3 5K "races" now, all glow runs at night (totally a blast!!) and I'm signed up for my first daytime 5K trail race on the 12th.

Even though I'm still on a 16+ pace, I have lost almost 20 lbs and had to buy a new belt last weekend. :yahoo:

I've been running in the Under Armour Assert series for road and the Asics Gel Venture for trail running, but I got a pair of Hoka One One Bondis this summer and I am SOLD! My lungs and heart are giving out long before my legs and feet now!
Hoka One One's are the BEST! Did you know you can get good prices on them at Sierra Trading Post? BTW, keep up the good work!!!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Hoka One One's are the BEST! Did you know you can get good prices on them at Sierra Trading Post? BTW, keep up the good work!!!
Hoka One One Bondi 4's are awesome! Ten half marathons for me this year, and I owe that to the Hokas. (I also like the Swiss shoe maker On.....good cushioning but not as plush as the Hokas).

@volklgirl, that's an incredible accomplishment!!!! Who cares about your pace?? Running is a work in progress. If you can run several miles at a conversational pace (meaning you can hold a conversation with a running partner the entire time), you have made great progress.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I've been curious about the Hoka One One's too - so many people love them. One of my students is an ultra runner, and he swears by them and is almost preacher-like when it comes to the Hoka One Ones.

@Tvan - that sounds great! congrats!

@volklgirl - i agree with @vanhoskier - the pace is totally irrelevant. I've been between 35 and 40 minutes for a 5k for a year now, and I don't really care. I've just been focusing on consistency and distance - and I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I'm finding it much easier to increase distance than pace. I've tried some tempo runs this fall to see about upping my pace...so we'll see how that goes.

I replaced my old Brooks Ghost (which I wore down) with Brooks Glycerin runners, and they've been great so far. I might even like them more than the Ghost which is hard to believe.

Today was beautiful and 17C in Calgary! just gorgeous! I went on a 6.5k trail running loop at nose hill park - a beautiful prairie grassed giant hill in the middle of the city. And was loving the sun and warmth today!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Today was beautiful and 17C in Calgary! just gorgeous! I went on a 6.5k trail running loop at nose hill park - a beautiful prairie grassed giant hill in the middle of the city. And was loving the sun and warmth today!

Yes! A great thing about running is that it makes you appreciate those sunny, mild days......even when you are impatient for winter. @Albertan ski girl , the scenery of your runs looks fantastic!!!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I do love these sunny days :smile: absolutely appreciative of them!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sabrina, such beautiful running trails! I wish I had easy access to pretty scenery. I've been a runner, oh gosh, since 2005. Two marathons, including Boston, countless halfs and 10ks. I now only run 1 race a year with various family members (DH 2 years ago, DD last year-all of whom I have to bribe). Used to track all my runs with my Garmin but now I don't wear a watch and I usu don't even care about my time. Probably had a burn out from all the serious running. Yes, I was THAT runner out at 5 am with a headlamp and reflecto vest. Over the years, a running partner or group was really good for accountability. I run HIIT now at the gym 2-3 x a week just to stay in shape and keep some training. Truthfully, I don't love running like I love skiing. Wanna go skiing? YES! Wanna go for a run? Uh, ok... Was faithful to my Brooks Adrenalines until they cheated/changed on me in 2015 :-(

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
I started running at the age of 57.5. Now, 2 1/2 years later I've done 4 half marathons and am registered for 2 more in 2017. That's the year I turn 60 and I'm contemplating calling it my farewell tour, but my husband isn't convinced. :smile:

I found a group of women online who are very supportive. FellowFlowers.com It's kind of touchy-feely, but they've been very helpful in my journey. I'm an 11:30 minute mile runner. My last half marathon was 2:39:33 which isn't bad for someone my age.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly