• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who has a wearable fitness device?

Jilly

Staff member
I don'think either the fitbit or the Garmin do the things I want. Which I'm not really sure what I do want. I'll stick with my ironman for the time being.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Vivoactive HR also shows a map and elevation and temperature. These seem to only work when the watch is connected to your phone via Bluetooth. This I do not understand, as the watch has GPS and its own altimeter (I’ll give it a pass on the weather). Garmin Connect also supports splits, but it sure looks like the only splits that Vivoactive HR supports are auto-detected splits for skiing.

I should have read my own text more carefully. The map, elevation, temp all happen when not connected to the phone. I verified this today, for example, on my hike. Also you can enable splits for running, etc in the watch options.

I think I'm going for this

3412931_fpx.tif

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/w...ung-gear-s2-classic-rose-gold-sm-r7320zdaxar/

I'm not paying THAT price. Found a few on eBay so just watching and waiting. I almost went for the Fitbit Blaze but after playing with this thing over the weekend I don't think I"ll be fully happy.................. This is Samsung's version of the Apple watch and holy functionality. I can pretty much leave my phone it the car when I have this. Sportwatch and Fitness watch combined.

I just had a birthday so why the hell not.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never been able to deal with watch faces that don't have numbers =/

I've never been able to deal with watch faces that don't have numbers =/

The S2 and the classic allows you to customize the face and there are several options that have numbers which is my preference too :smile:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@bounceswoosh - wow that was an awesome review of the vivoactive. Thanks! I've always been torn about the Garmin Connect software - mostly because it just overwhelms me. But really maybe what I want is not a 'fitness tracker' but more of a 'sport watch.' In any case, trying to still do this with my apple watch for now....

I meant to say thank you Bounceswoosh for your detailed Garmin review.

I ended up buying the Samsung S2 Classic in rose gold. Got it for $250 used with all standard accessories included. One of the things I like about it is when I'm at work or a dress up type of event I'll use this face

3412931_fpx.tif

but then on the weekends or when I'm working out I'll change it to this face or one similar

20160927_111547_resized.jpg

You can download different faces. I was happy with my Surge but then after playing with fancier options I realized the Surge was the dos version to me and the other watches were the windows versions and did more for me. I then thought I wanted a Fitbit Blaze but then after playing with this thing I realized that while the Blaze is better IMO but that I wanted a more on par smart watch equivalent. This is Samsung's version of the Apple watch and will pair perfectly with my Samsung Note 7.

I can also swap out the band if I want but I like the tan so likely not.

Fitbit Surge is currently up for sale.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rose gold might be the color of my next phone, but as a color for jewelry, it doesn't flatter my skin tone at all. Gold looks best on me, silver is close, but rose gold looks weird.

Wear the new watch in good health, @surfsnowgirl , you got a good deal.

Rosegold is very nice color....are you going to have a quiver of sport /fitness watches?

Thank you. I admit the color called to me in a big way. No Fitbit Surge is currently up for sale!

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Curious, as not an eBay shopper... what happens when you buy a "used" item and it has problems? Does that have to be disclosed?

Rose gold might be the color of my next phone, but as a color for jewelry, it doesn't flatter my skin tone at all. Gold looks best on me, silver is close, but rose gold looks weird.

Wear the new watch in good health, @surfsnowgirl , you got a good deal.

Thank you. :smile: I am not sure I've ever owned a piece of rose gold jewelry before so we'll see how it looks on me. I am excited to receive it and start playing.

Last edited:
Curious, as not an eBay shopper... what happens when you buy a "used" item and it has problems? Does that have to be disclosed?

Yes it does and a good seller will do that. Not that someone can't get burned but it's definitely a let the buyer beware scenario. If the person doesn't disclose everything you can take it up with Ebay and they will usually step in. I fortunately have never had this happen but it's a concern and something to bear in mind when looking at an ad. How many stars does the person have, do they have any negative feedback, does the unit work perfectly, have any blemishes and if so is it disclosed in the description and so on.

I bought my surge for $96. It was practically new. The seller said there was an issue with the text message button where it didn't work sometimes. It also didn't come with any charging cables. I got it and the text message button is fine and watch works great. I bought some charging cables for $10 and because I only spent $96 on it I'll likely make a small profit when I sell it.

Just bought my Samsung S2 Classic watch and sold my Fitbit Surge. Of course now I'm faced with having to turn in my Samsung Note 7 and deciding on either the Note 5 or the LG V20. I had concerns the LG phone wouldn't pair with a Samsung watch but it looks like it will work fine.

Of course as luck would have it my Samsung S2 classic smart watch will be arriving any day now and I no longer have a Samsung phone. I had a Note 7 and due to the recall had to turn it in. I was torn between the Note 5 but ended up getting the LG V10 cause it kind of blew me away. In my research it seems Samsung has made their device smartwatch software available in the app store so you can download it with another branded device. Certain nuances may not work but the core functions, notifications, etc will work so all should be fine but grrrrr.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry about that, @surfsnowgirl . I have the Galaxy 7 and have been happy with it.

Update on the vivoactive HR: 98% of my use is to run the timer app, which isn't even a built-in feature, but is a downloadable app. Great for PT - I have to do a lot of things for one minute at a time.

Sorry about that, @surfsnowgirl . I have the Galaxy 7 and have been happy with it.

Update on the vivoactive HR: 98% of my use is to run the timer app, which isn't even a built-in feature, but is a downloadable app. Great for PT - I have to do a lot of things for one minute at a time.

Thank you, what a pain. I love Samsung phones; have had the 4 Edge which I loved a lot and then the 7 Edge and loved that one too. The 7 is a good phone. I almost, almost went to the Note 5 to hang for 6 months until more traffic came out about what Samsung's planning next but then I played with the LG V10 and went hmmmmm I think I like this. My cell plan allows me to upgrade every 6 months I'll just keep the V10 and see what's on the market in the next 6 months. Samsung's working on the S8 and possibly S8 plus. The Note is likely dead due to all the bad press but the S8 plus might be 'note like', we'll see. In the meantime I'll hope for the best with my smart watch.

Glad your Vivoactive is working out for you. Seems like your overall more satisfied with it than with the Surge.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad your Vivoactive is working out for you. Seems like your overall more satisfied with it than with the Surge.

Definitely. If only because there are so many apps to play with. That's like crack for me. I still intend to write an app in my "copious spare time."

Definitely. If only because there are so many apps to play with. That's like crack for me. I still intend to write an app in my "copious spare time."

That's awesome you intend to write an app.

I was able to able to seamlessly pair my LG V10 with my Samsung Classic 2 watch. It was EFFORTLESS. I downloaded the Samsung Gear app and it prompted me through the whole process. My watch paired perfectly. It literally prompted through each secondary app I needed on my LG phone. In going through the setup on the Samsung watch if it needed a particular app or plug in it launched the app from the android store on my phone and I downloaded it. It was the easiest set up I've ever experienced.

Mini Review of Samsung Gear 2 Classic smartwatch

I will say I love love love this samsung watch. It's got plenty of apps which I'm realizing are like candy to me as well. The watch face has so many options. My favorites so far as the ESPN one so on Sunday, Monday and Thursday I can see what time it is but also beneath the numbers I can get the latest football news and football scores. Then there's the CNN face that gives me instant updates of breaking news on the watch face right beneath the time.

Plus the watch band is a standard watch band so I can mix and match with any standard issue watch band I choose.

The charging is outstanding. It's got a cradle with a magnetic back that the watch attaches to so charging this thing is a dream, so easy.

I've played more with the nuances of the smart watch, the weather, text and email notifications and haven't gotten into the fitness parts much but so far I love all the bells and whistles. It's like having my smart phone strapped to my wrist. Next up is to get the fitness nuances all dialed in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna