• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are you most looking forward to in the '16/'17 season?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just getting on some snow. Hopefully seeing that all my summer training paid off and that I'm not babying the knee with the graft. Focusing on what I *can* do - vastly improve my groomer skills, which should pay dividends in the following seasons - rather than what I can't. Taking a private lesson or two with my favorite instructor - on groomers. Snowshoeing with my dogs and taking them to the dog park on snowy days. Maybe learning to cross country ski on extremely flat terrain. I should ask where ice skating fits in the rules - I do have a pair of hockey skates collecting dust.

It will be a weird season in which I won't be able to define progress by the extreme terrain I skied or how much I pushed my physical boundaries. Like all catalysts for personal growth, it's not what I would have chosen for myself, but I can make something of it.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just more days on the snow. Like @Albertan ski girl, I am planning to get a season pass for the first time, and have made work schedule changes so that I can realistically aspire to go about once a week on average, with a heavy emphasis on weekdays. Last season's goal of "learning to get down anything" was met to a reasonable extent, so, this year, I will actually be getting down things!

So, last year was about learning; this year is about doing. This is what we therapists call "consolidating gains."

mustski

Angel Diva
I am looking forward to a bit of flexibility this season! I have 5 absences a year that count as "no tell" days, where we can just call in without approval. We have to turn in a piece of a paper but no big deal. Usually, we plan a trip. This year, due to our family addition of 2 puppies, we are staying local. So the first big snowstorm that blows in ... personal days! Once we beat the storm up the mountain, it's all good! I normally have to hope for powder days and, drat those powder Gods, they prefer weekdays!

Snow tires make such a huge difference, they give me confidence without being cocky. I also have 4 sick days left to use this year so I plan to be sick on 4 separate ocassions before the end of the year

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I am looking forward to a bit of flexibility this season! I have 5 absences a year that count as "no tell" days, where we can just call in without approval. We have to turn in a piece of a paper but no big deal. Usually, we plan a trip. This year, due to our family addition of 2 puppies, we are staying local. So the first big snowstorm that blows in ... personal days! Once we beat the storm up the mountain, it's all good! I normally have to hope for powder days and, drat those powder Gods, they prefer weekdays!
That's awesome. We used to have a policy like that, but no more. If I use a sick day to go skiing, and get caught, I can lose my job. :eek:

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WHISTLER!! Woot! Seriously, it's been on my bucket list for a long time so I'm pretty excited about it! In terms of goals, I'd like to improve on trees & bumps and staying out of my own head. :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
That's awesome. We used to have a policy like that, but no more. If I use a sick day to go skiing, and get caught, I can lose my job. :eek:
That was true most of my career also ... in fact, they can take my credential away if I call in sick when I'm not. We took a huge pay cut about 6 years ago and negotiated the personal "no tell" days as a compensation. My funniest one was the year we drove down the mountain in a huge storm, struggling the whole way so I could make it to work on Monday. I did ... but my lead performer did not; she stayed in the mountains to ski. Powder day!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just enjoying more days on the snow, and getting my kids out more! my oldest will be 6 - and she started on green runs at the end of last year! And also getting my other little two in a few more lessons, and getting some days with them again. They rocked the bunny hill by the end of the season. and they are already asking to go again.

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
More skiing this year...I'm debating between getting a 5 day pass or a season pass. If I get the season pass, I need to ski about 13 days to break even. I have to do the math with transportation to see if that's even doable.

Also taking a few lessons. The one last year was helpful.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I get the season pass, I need to ski about 13 days to break even.
I had that dilemma with my local hill. I decided that I don't mind pay them a bit extra, because they are locally owned, and had a couple of really bad seasons, so they could use some extra cash. I'm also paying extra, so to speak, for being able to get right on the hill from the car.

LadyCaladium

Certified Ski Diva
I had that dilemma with my local hill. I decided that I don't mind pay them a bit extra, because they are locally owned, and had a couple of really bad seasons, so they could use some extra cash. I'm also paying extra, so to speak, for being able to get right on the hill from the car.

I did some math and the season pass is looking more and more like a do. The season starts in December and can run until May. If I go for a weekend Dec/Jan/Feb/March (that's Sun/Mon for me) that's 8 times right there. Plus I have a three day weekend in February.

This is Nozawa by the way...https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/nozawa-onsen/nozawa-onsen

Tvan

Angel Diva
I did some math and the season pass is looking more and more like a do.

"Ski Pass" Math is my favorite kind of math!

I follow the same logic as @Fluffy Kitty . I'm happy to subsidise our local mountain if it means that it's more likely to stay in business. Last year was a wash for us at both Mohawk and Stratton because of the lack of snow, but I never begrudged buying our ski passes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly