• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Good movies?

altagirl

Staff member
DH watched the new point break the other night and I saw maybe half of it. It definitely didn't hold my attention at all.

The original was way better.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just found out today that the actual Florence Foster Jenkins attended the school where I teach! Weird.

Has Force Majeur been mentioned? I watched it on Netflix several months ago; a really interesting film, and some good skiing scenes.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was going to see Star Trek next tuesday but then my sisters sent around a text about Bad Moms which isn't high on my list but the ratings are good and I like hanging with the sisters so all in all should be a fun night.

Saw Bad Moms a few weeks ago with a friend when we wanted to see AbFab (not playing in our area), then 2nd choice was Ghostbusters (no matinee times), so landed on Bad Moms. It was surprisingly HILARIOUS, though my expectations were low. It definitely has some potty humor. The friend I went with is pregnant with her first child so that added an extra layer of fun. It has a pretty good message too, although when we got out I was surprised to hear pregnant friend say she felt like it still emphasized too much "Your kids are your life."

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw Kubo and the Two Strings this weekend. For kids and grown up kids. Cool Japanese imagery, reminiscent of Spirited Away.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those of you who said the new Point Break was terrible - I have now watched the entire movie. I wish I'd just stopped at the halfway point. You were right - it was terrible. I yelled at the screen a lot.

For those of you who said the new Point Break was terrible - I have now watched the entire movie. I wish I'd just stopped at the halfway point. You were right - it was terrible. I yelled at the screen a lot.

Now you must be kind to your memory and watch the old one to forget all about what you saw :smile: I've not seen the new one but the ratings are HORRIBLE and I love the original and not just cause of Keanu either :wink:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now you must be kind to your memory and watch the old one to forget all about what you saw :smile: I've not seen the new one but the ratings are HORRIBLE and I love the original and not just cause of Keanu either :wink:

I don't know if I've ever seen the original, or at least the whole thing in one sitting!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the heads up on the new Point Break but really,can anyone think of of remake(reimagining!!!) of any film that is better than the original?

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on the new Point Break but really,can anyone think of of remake(reimagining!!!) of any film that is better than the original?

I was just googling a few lists - apparently The Departed is a remake of a movie called "Internal Affairs" - I haven't seen that original, but I'm going with there being no way it was better.

And Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I have seen both of those and while I liked both, I maybe liked the remake more... I can understand going either direction on that, but I think it's a tight competition - and worth seeing both. (Or neither if you have a serious aversion to rape scenes. Though it has quite a satisfying resolution...)

2010's True Grit - I thought that was definitely better than the original. I really loved the acting and dialogue. Hailee Steinfeld was incredible.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just watched "Bottle Shock" again. Love that movie. I'm still grieving the passing of Alan Rickman.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just googling a few lists - apparently The Departed is a remake of a movie called "Internal Affairs" - I haven't seen that original, but I'm going with there being no way it was better.

And Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I have seen both of those and while I liked both, I maybe liked the remake more... I can understand going either direction on that, but I think it's a tight competition - and worth seeing both. (Or neither if you have a serious aversion to rape scenes. Though it has quite a satisfying resolution...)

2010's True Grit - I thought that was definitely better than the original. I really loved the acting and dialogue. Hailee Steinfeld was incredible.

You're right and I get your point!Perhaps it was a bit rash.Although the Departed was too violent for me and I've only seen the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I really enjoyed the remake of True Grit .

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, it's a good discussion question!
It is.And come to think of it there's lots of films I didn't like first time around and that sort of puts me off going to see the remake-Ghostbusters comes immediately to mind and that's just silly of me because I really like the new cast.Actually I don't remember thinking Point Break was my cup of tea either Keannu or not.But then I'm possibly of the opinion that the first Bill and Ted film was the apex of his acting career and it was like he used up his lifetimes supply of exuberance/joie de vivre all in one film.Though I have vague recollections of a romantic drama he was in being quite good.Just googled it-The Lake House and it was muddled and confusing and engaging all at the same time.
We just watched The Keeping Room(Brit Marling again) and What we do in the shadows(a NZ mocumentary based on the lives of four vampires flatting together in Wellington).It was very funny but it might be very localised humour that curdles when it travels.

I don't know if I've ever seen the original, or at least the whole thing in one sitting!

I think it's worth watching, if anything just to put a positive spin on the movie in your head :smile:

Saw Hell or High Water Last Night and Chris Pine (Capital Kirk from Star Trek) can actually act. I enjoyed it a lot. It was sorta like No Country for Old Men but not quite as good.

altagirl

Staff member
What we do in the shadows(a NZ mocumentary based on the lives of four vampires flatting together in Wellington).It was very funny but it might be very localised humour that curdles when it travels.

I saw a good chunk of this and thought it was funny. I forgot to hit record and had to lease the house, but I'm sure it will be on HBO again eventually.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw Revolutionary Road the other night. I know, it's not a new movie by any means but it was on. It was... interesting. I liked seeing Kat & Leo back together though, they do have such on-screen chemistry. But it was kind of a weird movie overall.

Oh I also saw Bernie, the Jack Black movie. I liked that quite a lot. Wasn't quite what I expected.

altagirl

Staff member
I saw Revolutionary Road the other night. I know, it's not a new movie by any means but it was on. It was... interesting. I liked seeing Kat & Leo back together though, they do have such on-screen chemistry. But it was kind of a weird movie overall.
I thought it was really powerful... and depressing. Though I think as someone who has never wanted children, it hits me very personally as a tragic situation I could have been in in a different time. My grandmother once told me to never let anyone talk me into having children unless it was what I wanted, because women didn't have to do that anymore. It always made me wonder if the comment came from her experiences or that of friends, or even older generations (I wasn't about to ask her if she wished she didn't have my dad/ aunt, you know? ), but anyway, I think it made this a seriously emotional movie for me.

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh I also saw Bernie, the Jack Black movie. I liked that quite a lot. Wasn't quite what I expected.

I loved Bernie. I love just about all of Richard Linklater's movies. His last one (Everybody Wants Some) was fun though not as good as Boyhood, Before Sunrise, etc (but not trying to be either). If you liked Dazed and Confused you'd probably like Everybody Wants Some.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna