• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting In Shape for 2016/17

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is no set weight or height. It depends on your skill level. They are not easy especially the catch so throwing lower with a lighter ball is best to begin with. They are my nemesis, I struggle with them.
I've done simple wall tosses with a 6, 8, or 10 lb medicine ball. Usually on one leg since that's how I was introduced to the idea in knee rehab PT. Not tossing too high and no squat after the catch. Definitely helped that I played basketball in high school.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done simple wall tosses with a 6, 8, or 10 lb medicine ball. Usually on one leg since that's how I was introduced to the idea in knee rehab PT. Not tossing too high and no squat after the catch. Definitely helped that I played basketball in high school.
Wow, not for me. I'd certainly sprain an ankle, blow out a shoulder or get hit in the face and break my nose catching the ball on one leg. Lol.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely agree that with good technique skiing is much less tiring and working on ones ski technique should be a priority during ski season to have longer and more fun ski days. With all that said I think for someone who doesn't live in the mountains and has a job that is moderately or very sedentary, being fit really helps with skiing better and longer during the ski trips. I am not talking about sore muscles or burning quads while skiing (which is likely to be a technique or equipment issue) but an overall energy levels and being less tired after traveling to the mountains. At least this has been mostly true for me.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree technique can help alot. I wouldn't go so far as to say you don't need pre-season training for any level of skier though. In addition to being stronger and having more endurance, pre-season training also preps the CNS all of which combined help to prevent injury. In addition if you do get injured, the stronger you are before injury the easier the recovery. Being strong is a gift that you will never regret giving yourself.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I agree technique can help alot. I wouldn't go so far as to say you don't need pre-season training for any level of skier though. In addition to being stronger and having more endurance, pre-season training also preps the CNS all of which combined help to prevent injury. In addition if you do get injured, the stronger you are before injury the easier the recovery. Being strong is a gift that you will never regret giving yourself.
What would you say is a good time period for pre-season conditioning? 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks? Obviously longer is better, but for someone just started to get serious about deliberate training it's helpful to think about a specific time frame. As opposed to feeling that exercising regularly (more than twice a week) has to be going on during the entire off-season.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What would you say is a good time period for pre-season conditioning? 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks? Obviously longer is better, but for someone just started to get serious about deliberate training it's helpful to think about a specific time frame. As opposed to feeling that exercising regularly (more than twice a week) has to be going on during the entire off-season.
6-8 weeks of sport specific 2 or more days days a week should be sufficient for general conditioning. Basically the time frame it takes the body to adapt to new motor skills. So if you have for instance been hiking or swimming or similar that uses the muscles diferently than skiing this time frame would allow the body to become more efficient at exercises or movements that are more similar to skiing.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree technique can help alot. I wouldn't go so far as to say you don't need pre-season training for any level of skier though. In addition to being stronger and having more endurance, pre-season training also preps the CNS all of which combined help to prevent injury. In addition if you do get injured, the stronger you are before injury the easier the recovery. Being strong is a gift that you will never regret giving yourself
Oh I didn't say that pre-season training doesn't help your skiing at all. Injury prevention is also what I had in mind when I mentioned overall energy levels while skiing. As a former athlete and a former fitness instructor I couldn't agree more that being fit and strong is the best gift you can give yourself!

What I was trying to say is that some Divas live in or close to the mountains and have time/schedule flexibility to maintain good fitness levels with a lot less effort because they can hike, bike in the mountains and do other outdoor activities that perhaps will keep them in reasonably good shape with little additional effort (e.g going to gym etc) when ski season comes around. For these people with having good technique there is probably little extra physical training they would need to do to ski recreationally long days without getting tired. I believe that is what @Skisailor may have been talking about in her post. Some may have sedentary or moderately sedentary job (I do for example) and a lot less schedule flexibility may need to try to carve out time to work out - this what I am trying to do. Everyone's situation is different, but perhaps we can all agree being fit is good! :smile:

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do jump board workouts at pilates. It is much harder than it looks and since you are lying down, I don't think it is as much pounding on the knees.

I just did a demo Pilates session at my gym this morning. I've been curious for years. They were having a discount, so I signed up for a 4-week package (4 group plus one private). How long have you been at it @Skier31 ?

Check out this instructor of skiing and Pilates. She was 70 when the video was made in 2014. Started as a full-time instructor at Vail when she was 40. Got into teaching Pilates 10+ years ago.

Good for that woman, that's awesome.

That video is my pilates mat class with Anabella. I love this woman. It's amazing how much stronger my core is just from doing these exercises over the last year.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having just booked our tickets to Whistler last night, and being at my highest weight ever, it's good motivation to start getting back in shape. With my knee problems, I don't have an excuse. I want to enjoy my trip, not worry about getting injured. Last season skiing at Wolf Creek and Telluride, I didn't ski a lot of the areas I really wanted to because I had tweaked my knee a couple of months before hand. I don't want that to happen again.
Previously, I found straight hiking with a pack the ultimate best way to be in ski shape. I'm going to start getting back on my bike and a regular yoga practice. I can do this! :smile:

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need a good whine this morning. I know I've only gotten uber serious about my workouts in the last 2-3 weeks, but my weight is just stuck (goddamn menopause). I was doing so much better in the spring when I was walking 5-7 miles a day to the Metro. Since this filthy summer heat and humidity started, however, I cannot stand being outside and I'm not getting that additional exercise b/c I'm driving to work (have I mentioned that I HATE summer?). :hurt:

I've changed my diet completely and for the better (almost zero alcohol, no bread/pasta, no dairy, no sweets), but this effing belly fat will not budge. I think I'm going to have to add a second workout each day or do more during the day (e.g., walking the 12 flights of stairs in my office building a couple times a day as a break).

Thanx for letting me kvetch. I just got discouraged 'cause I put on a pair of jeans this morning that still fit the same way they did 3 weeks ago. I feel they should be looser and I'm frustrated.:frusty:

On a positive note, I actually feel good, I'm enjoying my workouts, and on Tuesday I'm having VO2 Max testing done so I can target my workouts to be super-efficient. I haven't had this done in 20 years, and my body has changed just a bit in that time.:rolleyes:

Ok, rant over for now. You'll now be returned to your regularly scheduled program.

Jilly

Staff member
I tired a HITTS class last week. Love it and going to do more. End of September I'll be getting really serious as paddling will be done for the season. Last race is middle of September.

W8N2SKI - I hear yah.....My gym is going to be doing a "detox and nutrition" session again in September. It's basically 80% paleo and 20% normal. It's something anybody can live with. My problem is I like that stuff that is in green bottles with corks a little too much!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I never really think about getting fit for skiing; I just try to be fit for whatever I want to do. I turned 50 this summer, and it's definitely a little more challenging to recover from hard workouts. I used to be a bicycle racer, and a 50-75 mile ride was nothing to me, day after day. Those days are past!! :eek:

I've been running half marathons about once a month since last October. That has helped a lot with aerobic fitness, but aerobic fitness was always my strong point. I've been mixing my running with an hour of lap swimming 2x a week and stand up paddleboarding.

I use a Garmin GPS watch to track my mileage and heart rate. For aerobic work, I try to keep my heart rate around 140. For tougher stuff, around 160-170.

I recently started taking kickboxing and regular boxing classes. Wow, what a workout! Definitely one of the toughest workouts I've done in awhile. Besides boxing/kicking with the bag, we also do squats, lunges, wall squats, and LOTS of core work. It will take me a few more weeks to build up my strength and endurance there. I plan to do those classes 2x a week, so now the challenge will be coming up with a workout schedule during the teaching year that allows me to train for half marathons, swim, and get stronger via kickboxing. :smile:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly