• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, variety good for ski conditioning

marzNC

Angel Diva
Several years ago, I started a thread about the TRX when I was just starting to use it. Although it took me a few months to decide I liked the TRX, I’ve reached the stage where I’m glad I have one at home. Most of the time when I have a session with my personal trainer, we use the TRX for at least part of the time.

The variety of exercises possible with the TRX is one of it's strong points. My personal trainer introduced me to the TRX. She is a retired teacher who likes to learn about new fitness options. She can use it with seniors or those rehabbing a knee or whatever, but at the same time she can easily come up with a full 45-min workout for me that includes exercises directly relevant to skiing. I don't get bored, because she comes up with a different variation every time. She helps makes sure we cover different parts of the body in a reasonable manner. Usually I use the TRX to build core strength, improve balance, build leg strength, and for stretching.

When I use the TRX on my own, I feel good spending 15-30 minutes doing a range of exercises. Early on, I stuck with the exercises that I learned from my trainer because I knew what good form felt like. As I’ve learned more about fitness training, I’m more likely to try out new TRX exercises I find online.

Have you used the TRX? If so, what do you think of it? Do you do TRX classes or work with the TRX on your own?

The other thread from 2012-15:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/trx-suspension-training-what-do-you-think.14948/

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those unfamiliar with the TRX, a few example videos. When I was finishing up knee rehab, I did most of the exercises in the third video. I do hamstring curls to make sure my hamstrings stay strong since I'm missing an ACL.

An example of a TRX stretch.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Gloria : what do you think of the TRX now that you've been using it for a while? You had some great comments in the other thread. Below is what you suggested when doing a 15-20 min session on my own. Mostly putting together exercises that I've learned from my personal trainer, although I've found a few I like on my own.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...ng-what-do-you-think.14948/page-3#post-266802

If you want to feel/be more organized try to incorporate all 5 basic movement patterns into your self guided workouts:

Bend and lift movements -eg: squatting
Single leg Movements -eg: lunging
Pushing movements - 4 directions - forward, overhead ( harder to incorporate on TRX, there is a pike push up but best for higher levels - which you may be), lateral, and downward.
Pulling Movements - rows etc
Rotational - single arm rows with rotation would combine this movement with above if you need to save time for example.

Core workout should incorporate 2 of each of the following for athletic training but at least 1 is sufficient for overall fitness:

stability - all trx incorporate this so no need to think about this one except maybe some sidework.
rotation- single arm row with rotation would be one.
extension-I had a hard time finding any on the TRX but will let you know if I do, or maybe you know some you could share with me.
flexion- There is a prone roll out which I am sure you probably do.

Keep in mind the beauty of full body/functional exercise is that many single exercises incorporate 2 or more of the above in a single exercise so it is possible to fit all in a short work-out.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I honestly haven't used it for awhile and I haven't had a ton of clients in the past year that it was ideally suited for, I have alot of over 65 clients and alot of weight loss or strength type clients so it just hasn't fit into their programming. I do think it's a great tool for all intents and purposes though. Basically the above incorporates the basic human movement patterns so yes, that is still a good baseline.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna