• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New Mountain and General Skiing Anxiety

So, by extension, we are all ski divas, regardless of ability level, experience, gear coolness, diva-ish-ness, etc., etc! (Must… silence… doubt…)

Per dictionary.com: skier [skee-er] noun 1. a person who skis.

I quadruple like this.................................. I'm getting that t'shirt dammit and proudly drive around my Jeep with my big ski diva sticker on it :smile:

I was waiting to put this on my Jeep because I wanted to wash it first. Then I realized that I rarely wash my Jeep because the weather is so wacky here so I might as well clean off the bumper and throw it on.

20160609_083909_resized.jpg

When I hear someone's going to a mountain where I want to go my first instinct is to ask them for the 411 on the mountain, where are the good blues, what trails will I like, etc. Not that looking at the trail map and having some sort of game plan isn't a good thing but I'm going to work on relaxing a lot more when it comes to a new mountain.

I just started listening to a conversation with fear.

My game plan when I go to a new mountain this year is to start out each day with 1 warm up run down a green to get my feet underneath me. Then on day one I will take a lesson. I think doing these 2 things will start my psyche off right.

I know every mountain is different but generally speaking throw me on a blue groomer after that and I am fine.

I know how to ski so I just need to trust myself a little more and I think if I start off each day as I mentioned in the prior paragraph my head will be in the right place and the foundation will be down for a better skiing experience of less stress and more fun.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I found this book *so helpful* when getting back into mountain biking after an injury - I ended up even better than before because I took its advice. It's going to be part of my life when I come back from the ACL, too.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the things I do at a new mountain is check out if they have a free mountain host program. Pairing with a local and other people new to the area allows me to get a feel for the place, and make some new friends. I also find I worry less about new terrain when I am skiing with others.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One of the things I do at a new mountain is check out if they have a free mountain host program. Pairing with a local and other people new to the area allows me to get a feel for the place, and make some new friends. I also find I worry less about new terrain when I am skiing with others.
I've done that a lot in new places just to get the lay of the land.. Think you only need to be solid intermediate so you can keep up with group..

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva

Yes, I think this is a great thing to do! The mountain host tours are often awesome - and the hosts often know all sorts of interesting things about the mountain.

I'd never even thought about the mountain ambassador idea until we were on the chair at Mont Sutton in Quebec and just happened to be riding up with an off duty ambassador. She was wonderful and took us around for quite a while. It was an awesome introduction to the mountain. I'm definitely doing this more this season.

Jilly

Staff member
Most large mountains will have them....Tremblant has 2 times for meeting at the top. It's a retirement idea for me. You get a free pass and don't have work that many days for it. No pay, but free skiing and discounts....

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I've enjoyed many mountain tours. Great way to get the insider look at a new Mt. Last year at Sun Valley we had an extra wonderful guide. 50yrs on the mt. Expert Skier, Expert advice, super nice guy. when the tour ended he asked if he could ski w/us. SURE!! He took us ALL over the Mt. we were then able to do black trails (tours stay on green/blue)
He Had lunch with us then skied more until closing we ended up on a chair and he even had the lifties keep it open so we could do 1 more run!! highly recommend Mt. tours!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
+1 on free mountain tours.

The first time I was at Bridger, I was the only guest. So got a private tour from one end to another. Later that week the tour at Big Sky was "blue-blue" with several seniors from New England who were part of a ski club trip. The host spent 3 hours with the group and we even went all the way over to the shared lift with Moonlight, so learned how to ski back. Big Sky had tours for green skiers too.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

This book really intrigues me as fear of the consequences of getting it wrong definitely have an adverse effect on my mountain biking. It's less so with skiing and maybe it's because I feel I am a much more competent skier than I am a mountain biker.Maybe this year is the time to actually get some instruction on the bike.The thing I find most uncomfortable in skiing is being in a situation where falling can have terrible consequences.It makes me shudder to think of it.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most large mountains will have them....Tremblant has 2 times for meeting at the top. It's a retirement idea for me. You get a free pass and don't have work that many days for it. No pay, but free skiing and discounts....

I used to think of doing it and one year (the first year) applied. But here at least, you must show up on the same days all the time, no matter the weather or conditions. (That was why I didn't do it that year, my daughter was racing all over and I couldn't guarantee I'd be there every Tuesday.) When you consider that not every guest will be a charmer, the "free" is not so free. Just being the Epic Ambassador for here has occasionally been extremely aggravating. Some (@grlacey ) visitors are a joy. Others are there to compete with the supposed leader more than get conducted around. I can at least dump people, not so the official resort Ambassadors. I've heard plenty of stories about people they've had to endure. And yet every year it crosses my mind to do it.. For about 90 seconds.

One nice benefit is free lessons. The other, most attractive one, is the camaraderie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna