• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

DIVA DOGS!

mustski

Angel Diva
Cuties! I think with a white dog, you're going to be fighting (visible) filth all their lives. My brown and black dogs hide it pretty well till you realize their fur is crunchy from chewing on each other ...
It's definitely going to be a problem, but right the bigger problem is smell! Puppies are yucky in so many ways. :bounce:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's definitely going to be a problem, but right the bigger problem is smell! Puppies are yucky in so many ways. :bounce:

I got our two a little older - Cooper at 10 months, Loki ostensibly at 5 months (I think he was actually younger because he grew so much) - anyway, I missed out on tiny puppy cuteness, but I also missed a lot of stressful stuff. Cooper only peed in the house twice and then never again. It was a couple more with Loki, but not many. I don't know if they'd been previously potty trained. If I had to guess, Cooper may have, but Loki hadn't.

altagirl

Staff member
I think it depends on the type of fur more than the color. Waffles is mostly white, but with short, straight fur, she just doesn't hold much dirt. If she actually rolls in something (which she will do every once in a while in the summer), she gets a bath (which she likes, thankfully), but she's not like a constant hassle to keep clean or white. It took me a bit to find the right shampoo that gets her neck fur clean where her collar rubs dirt in when we're out hiking in dusty areas a lot, but it's not too bad.

Ginger has longer, darker fur, but I don't think she's EVER rolled in mud. She generally will never voluntarily even get wet unless she's fetching a frisbee. I have friends though with dogs with more poodle type curly fur that seem to attract burrs and dirt and snow and everything that can stick to them like crazy. Both of mine are pretty self cleaning - their fur just doesn't really hold on to dirt. Even if it's muddy, once it dries, if I brush them after a hike they're pretty clean.

Christy

Angel Diva
Have people seen Maira Kalman's Beloved Dog? I am a big fan of hers, and I just got the book. I can't get through the opening section, where she talks about growing up terrified of dogs then getting one "for the children" after her husband dies, without at least tearing up.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/maira-kalmans-beloved-dogs

Kalman-Beloved-Dog9-1200.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
We have many moments of staring into each others eyes and he showers me with kisses. Today I got a hug for the first time. I love Nelson and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual

You're in that oxytocin loop with the eye gazes...that's good stuff. :smile:

Japanese researchers found that dogs who trained a long gaze on their owners had elevated levels of oxytocin, a hormone produced in the brain that is associated with nurturing and attachment, similar to the feel-good feedback that bolsters bonding between parent and child. After receiving those long gazes, the owners’ levels of oxytocin increased, too. The dog’s gaze cues connection and response in the owner, who will reward the dog by gazing, talking and touching, all of which helps solder the two, the researchers said. They suggest that dogs became domesticated in part by adapting to a primary human means of contact: eye-to-eye communication

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/the-look-of-love-is-in-the-dogs-eyes/?_r=0

mustski

Angel Diva
That's awesome! I had never heard that before but I love when they get all lovey dovey with their eyes.

Christy

Angel Diva
The late great Kobe Bear would put me under his spell with his big watery brown eyes.

The ways that dogs have adapted as they evolved to be our faithful companions just astounds me. I remember on a Nature episode (PBS) they showed how when dogs look at us, they look at the left side of our faces, which is where we register our emotions. It's clearly in the dog's best interest to see if the person they are around is angry, happy, etc, and even puppies do this.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loki was his usual cautious self. He hated standing on the butcher paper (aka white background) and, while he loved the treats, they weren't enough to convince him to do anything. Cooper on the other hand was careening and jumping like a crazy dog. It didn't help that the assistant clearly wasn't familiar with dog behavior and kept doing the wrong things to calm them down.

So Loki never quite had the ears up high, tongue hanging out look I was hoping for, but he did get a little more comfortable by the end.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That are both beautiful dogs! It's ironic that Cooper was in full play mode while Loki was calm!

Well, it just goes to their comfort levels. Cooper's more of an extrovert and a treat hound. Loki basically has the personality of a cat, down to even being suspicious of treats when I give them to him. I actually wouldn't describe Loki as calm - he was scared! It took him a while to even partially warm up.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Man oh man. Got a call from the vet today. We had Cooper's blood work done since we need to have one of his teeth pulled.

His liver enzymes are high. 18-121 is normal. Last year his were 35. Just now, 420. Vet cautioned it could be any number of things and not to panic yet. She asked if I wanted to give Cooper supplements and test again in a month, or if I wanted to do a whole bunch of tests - blood and ultrasound - right away. I chose the "let's know as much as possible right away" option.

Cooper is not allowed to get sick, not right now. Not ever, really. My friend and hiking buddy's dog had results like this that ultimately resulted in her being put to rest a few weeks ago due to liver cancer. So it's too real what could go wrong. But he's only 8, not showing any symptoms, lethargy, or food aversion, and so I hope it's minor or that we've caught it early enough. Watching my friend go through her loss makes it all too real what I will experience when Cooper dies. But I want that to be in 4-6 years at the earliest - not now!!

Positive results coming up for copper. The waiting is the worst.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna