• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New superfat skis for me! (my white whale)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bloody hell, another pair of skis! It's hard to keep up with you :smile: Good luck with your surgery!

I definitely have an issue ...

Actually I wonder if it affects skiing all that much. If the boot fits well that part of a foot is relatively stable, unless you are skinning. But I understand it is a degenerative condition and one of its practical implications is that it is restricting footwear choices.

Why would you wonder that? I've been telling you how much it impacts my skiing!

The bunion areas HURT when I ski, especially in warmer conditions when feet swell and the plastic is more flexible. It's not uncommon for it to hurt enough that I will stop skiing early, even though everything else is going fine. The skin around my bunions is still bright red even though I haven't skied for a week and a half. I get the boots punched, and punched, and punched again, and it helps, but it's not enough.

If it weren't for skiing, I would just wear wide shoes all the time, and I would be fine except for those rare occasions when I need to dress like an adult. But then again, if it weren't for skiing, it probably wouldn't be as bad as it is. I'm sure the continued rubbing worsens it, like an oyster forming a pearl to protect itself from sand. I hope that if my foot is actually a normal shape, the boot won't continue to irritate the area so it won't recur.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I don't think someone who has not experienced it can imagine the world of hurt that you get from a bunion. If I am in a pair of shoes that is not a good fit, that area throbs so bad I can't stand it...the only thing you can do is get that shoe, or in Bounceswoosh's case, ski boot off...RIGHT NOW!!! And after you get everything off...even a sock hurts, you see how red the area is and it just continues to throb. I am so grateful that ski boots don't bother mine while I am skiing, but a lot of time, the day after skiing my foot is particularly sensitive.
Monique, I feel your pain!!!

Feet do suck. I'm going to see a podiatrist that specializes in sports medicine this summer to see what I can to do for my messed up feet to make life better for me when ski boot time comes around in the fall.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love my six pairs of Fat-ypus skis. Too bad you passed up on the ultra fat A-lottas. My favorite ski ever...

It's still on sale. He's replacing the A-Lottas with a new design, so it's quite possible they'll still be around - or something like them.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I definitely have an issue ...

Why would you wonder that? I've been telling you how much it impacts my skiing!

The bunion areas HURT when I ski, especially in warmer conditions when feet swell and the plastic is more flexible. It's not uncommon for it to hurt enough that I will stop skiing early, even though everything else is going fine. The skin around my bunions is still bright red even though I haven't skied for a week and a half. I get the boots punched, and punched, and punched again, and it helps, but it's not enough.

If it weren't for skiing, I would just wear wide shoes all the time, and I would be fine except for those rare occasions when I need to dress like an adult. But then again, if it weren't for skiing, it probably wouldn't be as bad as it is. I'm sure the continued rubbing worsens it, like an oyster forming a pearl to protect itself from sand. I hope that if my foot is actually a normal shape, the boot won't continue to irritate the area so it won't recur.
Maybe you should try the Apex ski boots? I know they look a little weird, but I bet they'd be way more comfy for feet like yours. Skiing should always be fun...not painful! I hope you find a solution!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe you should try the Apex ski boots? I know they look a little weird, but I bet they'd be way more comfy for feet like yours. Skiing should always be fun...not painful! I hope you find a solution!!
I've just never heard that people used to performance boots have been happy with them =/

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I've heard that, too, but have also talked to a few instructors that use them and are grateful for their comfort. I thought it was worth a thought. :smile:

It is. I am not good enough to ski a comfort boot on terrain, I don't think.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You totally have my sympathy.I have bilateral bunions and a pronounced bump at the base of my rt 5th metatarsal and always have had bother with footwear.In some ways ski boots have been the easiest as my bootfitter just punches out the shells and modifies the liners where needed.Luckily they arent generally that painful(apart from when I'm wearing heels for a few hours) but if they were then Id get them seen to.Good luck on your recovery.Hope it doesnt impact too much on next season.SOs sister had hers done and she said it was a miserable year but they are fine now-she runs good distances and is nearly 60.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remarks like this one will have a pair on the way to her in no time!
Hahahaha!!!!! Truth!

And yes, feet SUCK!! Surgeries for both a right bunion and a right neuroma finally has me skiing mostly pain free, for the first time since.....well, forever. I still can't really wear any type of dress shoes without severe irritation, but everything else is finally fine.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
It is. I am not good enough to ski a comfort boot on terrain, I don't think.
If you can find one to demo, try it. But go a bit smaller size than they recommend. I found that the size they put you in (I demoed them) was too big. You may have to "relearn" to ski the terrain you do, but the fact that you do ski that terrain means that you have a skill set to do so.

The other possibility, as I'm sure you're aware, is to go with a boot that has a moldable outer shell. You'll find something that works with a good bootfitter. My bootfitter "customizes" his wife's boots because she has HORRIBLE feet (her pinky sticks straight to the outside of the foot, among other things). But perhaps surgery will mean that extreme modifications would be unnecessary for you.

I agree though, feet suck. Mine are fairly "normal," albeit narrow and bony, and I cannot wear heels to save my life. Or any dressy shoes, really, without pain or hotspots or blisters. As a teacher who is on her feet a lot, I relegate myself to Danskos and sometimes just running shoes. I think we were meant to go barefoot. :-)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can find one to demo, try it. But go a bit smaller size than they recommend. I found that the size they put you in (I demoed them) was too big. You may have to "relearn" to ski the terrain you do, but the fact that you do ski that terrain means that you have a skill set to do so.

The other possibility, as I'm sure you're aware, is to go with a boot that has a moldable outer shell. You'll find something that works with a good bootfitter. My bootfitter "customizes" his wife's boots because she has HORRIBLE feet (her pinky sticks straight to the outside of the foot, among other things). But perhaps surgery will mean that extreme modifications would be unnecessary for you.

I agree though, feet suck. Mine are fairly "normal," albeit narrow and bony, and I cannot wear heels to save my life. Or any dressy shoes, really, without pain or hotspots or blisters. As a teacher who is on her feet a lot, I relegate myself to Danskos and sometimes just running shoes. I think we were meant to go barefoot. :-)

I was going to get surgery anyway this summer because the bunions have caused neuromas, and I want it all dealt with. Now we'll see - next summer? Will I want to do that? We'll see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly