• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2016 Volkl Kenja

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok just scored a pair of 2016 Volkl Kenjas in a 170. My normal ski size is 160-165 but I figure with the new kenja being easier to ski, the tip/tail rocker and the fact that I am not a lightweight that I'll be fine with the 170.

Now to dispose of my 2015 163cm Kenjas.................

Or keep em both............ but I don't need to be a ski hoarder so time to swap out the bindings and put my 2015s on the market.
Nice! Didn't know you were thinking of getting a pair. Fun!!

Nice! Didn't know you were thinking of getting a pair. Fun!!

Sort of thinking of getting a pair. I enjoyed myself on the 156s I demoed. I think they are a little easier to ski than my 2015 Kenjas. I can sacrifice some of the ice bite ability of the 2015 for a little more playfulness in the 2016. I have the Charismas so when a true ice biter is needed those'll come out. They come with Axiom bindings but I want to put my Attack 13s on them. I'll sell my 2015 Kenjas with the Axiom bindings. I couldn't pass up the $285 price tag.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Sort of thinking of getting a pair. I enjoyed myself on the 156s I demoed. I think they are a little easier to ski than my 2015 Kenjas. I can sacrifice some of the ice bite ability of the 2015 for a little more playfulness in the 2016. I have the Charismas so when a true ice biter is needed those'll come out. They come with Axiom bindings but I want to put my Attack 13s on them. I'll sell my 2015 Kenjas with the Axiom bindings. I couldn't pass up the $285 price tag.

I would advise against swapping out the bindings, because that will give you a 2nd mount on those skis, and make them harder to sell. If the buyer needs to remount those bindings because of a different BSL, then that's the third and final mount those skis can take.

The Axiom bindings are excellent, so no reason you wouldn't like them as well as the Attacks. In fact, I like the Axioms a bit better in terms of smoothness of entry.

The 170 Kenja is a LOT of ski, just so you are aware. It may set you back in your skill progression. I did not feel that the 2016 in a 170 felt much shorter than the 2015 in a 170. I'm pretty fit (half marathon runner), and I do tire after a full day on my 170 2016 Kenjas. I will be demoing some lighter weight/softer skis next year just to compare in terms of my energy level at the end of a ski day.

Last edited:
I would advise against swapping out the bindings, because that will give you a 2nd mount on those skis, and make them harder to sell. If the buyer needs to remount those bindings because of a different BSL, then that's the third and final mount those skis can take.

The Axiom bindings are excellent, so no reason you wouldn't like them as well as the Attacks. In fact, I like the Axioms a bit better in terms of smoothness of entry.

The 170 Kenja is a LOT of ski, just so you are aware. I did not feel that the 2016 in a 170 felt much shorter than the 2015 in a 170. I'm pretty fit (half marathon runner), and I do tire after a full day on my 170 2016 Kenjas. I will be demoing some lighter weight/softer skis next year just to compare in terms of my energy level at the end of a ski day.

Obviously the cheapest route would be if I didn't do any remounting. I think the Attack 13s are the smoothest binding I've ever stepped into them I'm reminded how much I love them. That said I have no opinion on the Axioms so I'm sure they are fine also. I have time to decide.

I was told the Kenja in a 163 is a lot of ski and those skis have been nothing but good to me. I guess we all have something that tires us out. I run 5 and 10ks on a fairly regular basis but something like going up multiple flights of stairs really affects my energy level. Howver, skiing my 163 Kenjas all day doesn't tire me out at all. Not much difference in size between a 163 and a 170 and given what I weigh I'm just not worried about it. If for some reason they don't work for me I already have someone interested in them so no biggie.

I know you love your Fullovits. Next season will be here soon enough so you can demo some other lighter skis and see if you find other skis that work for you also.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was told the Kenja in a 163 is a lot of ski and those skis have been nothing but good to me. I guess we all have something that tires us out. I run 5 and 10ks on a fairly regular basis but something like going up multiple flights of stairs really affects my energy level. Howver, skiing my 163 Kenjas all day doesn't tire me out at all. Not much difference in size between a 163 and a 170 and given what I weigh I'm just not worried about it. If for some reason they don't work for me I already have someone interested in them so no biggie.
Something to note: I owned and skied 2014 Kenjas in 170 cm for over 2 seasons and they are a plenty of a ski for me. I am 6 ft 1 in and weigh a little over 200 pounds, pretty fit. I am a low advanced skier, ski pretty fast at times. While I have not skied the 2016 Kenjas and I have heard that the 2016 are more forgiving than the older models, but I would think that even the 2016 in 170 cm Kenjas are still a lot of a ski. This is just my opinion, of course.

While I really liked Kenjas and they were good for me I started to realize that a slightly softer ski might help me progress. In fact I switched to less stiff 170 cm POTUS this season and I feel like my technique has started to improve more with a softer ski.

Something to note: I owned and skied 2014 Kenjas in 170 cm for over 2 seasons and they are a plenty of a ski for me. I am 6 ft 1 in and weigh a little over 200 pounds, pretty fit. I am a low advanced skier, ski pretty fast at times. While I have not skied the 2016 Kenjas and I have heard that the 2016 are more forgiving than the older models, but I would think that even the 2016 in 170 cm Kenjas are still a lot of a ski. This is just my opinion, of course.

While I really liked Kenjas and they were good for me I started to realize that a slightly softer ski might help me progress. In fact I switched to less stiff 170 cm POTUS this season and I feel like my technique has started to improve more with a softer ski.

I understand but I am just not a huge fan of softer skis that's why I sold my Elysians and am picking up Volkl 90Eights instead. I respect what you are saying but I sold my softer skis 2 years ago when I felt they were holding me back. Quite honestly, my stiffer skis have done nothing but help me grow, along with logging a lot of ski days, taking many lessons and working very hard.

Never say never as I say but this past season I learned what I like and don't like in a ski and I bought and sold skis accordingly. One of the things I also learned this season is I can ski on anything but I still have my preferences.

I absolutely love my 2015 Kenjas. I was initially "warned" against these skis and quite the opposite happened. I had nothing but progress since I have had them. I have nothing but praise for them. I really liked the playful nature of the 2016s, they seemed to have a little less death edge grip capability for me but were more playful. I didn't need the superior edge grip since I have my Redsters and Charismas so I thought the 2016 Kenja would be a nice compliment to my quiver. I am aok with the 163 and can ski it all day long and over multiple days without being an once of tired. I happened upon a great deal on the 170 so I grabbed it. It's only a couple inches longer than my 163 Kenjas. Its pretty rockered, especially in the tip. I won't know until I ski them in December if the length works for me or not and if not, I'll sell them and buy the 163s. Its kind of a win win as I see it.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only rec might be to hold on to the shorter skis until you can ski the longer ones. The 156 Kenjas were about as tall as me (over my head) as the 170s will be for you and while they were fine on groomers, they were a nightmare for me in bumps and trees b/c of the length. It's harder to rotary turn a long ski. I ended up having to downsize to the 149s. Just a suggestion since you haven't skied them in that length yet.

My only rec might be to hold on to the shorter skis until you can ski the longer ones. The 156 Kenjas were about as tall as me (over my head) as the 170s will be for you and while they were fine on groomers, they were a nightmare for me in bumps and trees b/c of the length. It's harder to rotary turn a long ski. I ended up having to downsize to the 149s. Just a suggestion since you haven't skied them in that length yet.

That's great advice. The 170s will be about an inch over my head in street shoes but with ski boots on they should be exactly my height. I can totally see the 170s being terrible in bumps or trees so I agree with you wholeheartedly. They will strictly be for groomers. I still plan to sell my 2015 163 Kenjas only because if I decide I don't like the 2016 170 Kenjas I'll replace them with 2016 163s.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all, I haven't posted here for a while, but suddenly find myself in the market for new skis for my quickly growing youngest daughter, and this is where I automatically turn for advice! I've found a terrific bargain on the 2016 Kenja in 163, but want to be certain it'll work for her. I've already narrowed down the choices (based on various internet reviews) to Kenja, Black Pearl, and Atomic Vantage 90 CTI W, bearing in mind they all have fairly different skiing characteristics. My pick of the 3 for her would have been the Atomic, until I found this bargain on the Kenja. There may be others, and I'll gladly listen to any advice.

So, my daughter is 14, around 5ft 3.5 (161cm) tall, and somewhere around 55+ kg, I think. Normal weight for height I'd say, neither very skinny nor solid. She's growing taller fast, and probably will for another couple of years, so ideally whatever we get should last for that time. Her big sister is 5ft 11, but I'm 5ft 8.5, and at a guess I'd say she will end up no taller than me, and possibly a little shorter. She's been quite sick this year (and occasionally last year) with a chronic, but not particularly serious health condition, which she's expected to grow out of. As a consequence, she's not very fit right now. She starts school rowing in September, which should help -- if it doesn't trigger a relapse. She also gets sore knees from time to time.

Having said that, she's a fairly decent skier. She's had about 35 days of race training (plus other instruction) over the past 4 years and has moderately solid technique. She's quite fearless, and will ski pretty much anything, from a GS race to tight, steep hike-to chutes. I think the only thing she isn't interested in is park.

Skis she's had in the past that she liked were her junior Head slalom skis, some junior Moment all-mountain skis that she grew out of very quickly, and most recently K2 Missconducts in 158. She liked the Missconducts when they were way over her head, but they're now at eye level and she's not having fun with them anymore. I suspect they're not that stiff.

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for whether the Kenja in 163 is going to be too much ski for her.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Magnatude , I have the Black Pearls. I'm quite "solid" as you say, ahem, probably too solid for them. But anyway....the BP is a very good all-rounder ski for a variety of conditions imho, unless your conditions are usually ice-hard or usually deep powder. Your daughter would probably like them, but she might like the Kenja's more. Given her solid technique, fearlessness, race training, and her taste for challenge, given that she'll put on a bit of muscle with rowing and just growing, I don't think they'd be too much ski. There are skiers (@contesstant comes to mind) who are lighter in weight for their height or simply of normal ht/wt proportions who love them and have no problems on them. I can't comment on the Atomics. Maybe your decision will come down to a matter of availability and price, but best wishes in your search.

It doesn't sound like they will be to much ski for her. I'm on my second pair of Kenjas and love them. I had the 2015's and just sold them for the 2016s. I am 5'6" and 175lbs so not as light or as tall as your daughter and I ski the 163. I've heard a couple of divas on here mentioned their knee's hurting in skiing them but others don't. I can ski them all day long with nary an issue. They are rock solid, easy to ski, turn very easily and are just a ton of fun. What I like about them is their versatility, if conditions are going to be mixed they are my go to ski for the day. They handle soft snow and hard pack very well. I am going into my 5th year of skiing and I find them an absolute blast. I was initially intimidated by them but immediately took some lessons with them and I truly feel they helped me progress. The 2016 Kenjas are more forgiving than prior years and easier to ski but still the solid Kenja of years past.

I've never skied the atomics you mentioned so I can't speak to those. I also can't speak to the weight issue since I am shorter and weigh more but with your daughters ability and training thus far it seems like they would be good for her. What I can speak to is the awesomeness of the skis and what they did for me. If you found an awesome deal on them I'd go for it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi all, I haven't posted here for a while, but suddenly find myself in the market for new skis for my quickly growing youngest daughter, and this is where I automatically turn for advice! I've found a terrific bargain on the 2016 Kenja in 163, but want to be certain it'll work for her. I've already narrowed down the choices (based on various internet reviews) to Kenja, Black Pearl, and Atomic Vantage 90 CTI W, bearing in mind they all have fairly different skiing characteristics. My pick of the 3 for her would have been the Atomic, until I found this bargain on the Kenja. There may be others, and I'll gladly listen to any advice.

So, my daughter is 14, around 5ft 3.5 (161cm) tall, and somewhere around 55+ kg, I think. Normal weight for height I'd say, neither very skinny nor solid. She's growing taller fast, and probably will for another couple of years, so ideally whatever we get should last for that time. Her big sister is 5ft 11, but I'm 5ft 8.5, and at a guess I'd say she will end up no taller than me, and possibly a little shorter. She's been quite sick this year (and occasionally last year) with a chronic, but not particularly serious health condition, which she's expected to grow out of. As a consequence, she's not very fit right now. She starts school rowing in September, which should help -- if it doesn't trigger a relapse. She also gets sore knees from time to time.

Having said that, she's a fairly decent skier. She's had about 35 days of race training (plus other instruction) over the past 4 years and has moderately solid technique. She's quite fearless, and will ski pretty much anything, from a GS race to tight, steep hike-to chutes. I think the only thing she isn't interested in is park.

Skis she's had in the past that she liked were her junior Head slalom skis, some junior Moment all-mountain skis that she grew out of very quickly, and most recently K2 Missconducts in 158. She liked the Missconducts when they were way over her head, but they're now at eye level and she's not having fun with them anymore. I suspect they're not that stiff.

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for whether the Kenja in 163 is going to be too much ski for her.
So a 163cm ski is at forehead height since she's 161cm at the moment? That seems long for a relatively stiff ski like the Volkl Kenja. But sounds like the right type of ski for her interests. I do understand why you want to buy them long. Did that for my daughter more than once.

For what it's worth, I have the BPs at 159cm and have skied them in all kinds of conditions. I'm petite, advanced, and not a racer. Never was interested as a teen and much more interested in turns than speed. Especially at my home mountain where it takes 3 min to finish a run even making lots of turns. I've demo'd the Kenja 156cm on very short runs (Mid-Atlantic) and they were okay but would not go on my wish list. In contrast, I had a very good time on the Atomic Vantage 90 at Alta. I was on demo rentals one morning and also took a couple runs during the Alta Demo Day. The rentals were 153cm and the demo tent skis were 161cm. I mainly used them on groomers because nothing had softened yet off-piste. Not quite sure which length to put on my wish list, but more likely to go with the 153cm.

What surprised me was that I didn't like the Vantage 95 at all during the Demo Day morning. Perhaps too long at 162cm.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Atomic Vantage is a fine ski.. I"ve demo'd it on ice, packed powder and piles of snow.. Hard to find a bad thing about them. I don't think your daughter would be disappointed and they are super for getting better.

On the other hand for me Personally I find the Kenja's are heavy and feel like you're fighting to stay out of the back seat (a place no one should be but I see beginner skiers end up there and then have very bad back seat habits that as an instructor I find can be hard to break)

I have the Black pearls they are awesome in soft snow, bumps, trees powder up to about 8" but I hate them on Hard pack/icey days (tip flaps)

I do like a light weight ski vs heavy why I'm not a volkl fan in general or other heavy ski.
The Vantage is a do it all ski IMHO..
any chance she can demo? Here's Hope her health continues to improve and you 2 can get in lots of days skiing!

@Magnatude

If your first choice for your daughter would be the atomics than maybe you can find a deal on those. There are lots of deals on skis this summer. However, I think it's going to come down to personal preference. If you think she didn't like the misconducts any longer cause they werent stiff enough than maybe she would prefer the kenja.

I am not a fan of the black pearl. You will find on here that some skis are loved by some and disliked by others. It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Are demoing these skis an option? That would be best cause then she could get a first hand feeling for them.

An alternative option would be since you are in new zealand and can ski them now is to buy the kenjas on the great deal and she can get on them right away. Then if she doesnt like them you can sell them easy enough (Kenjas are very popular) and see what you can find on the atomics and the black pearls.

Good luck. Hope your daughter continues to get better, gets stronger and you can have a blast skiing.

Last edited:

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm definitely not in the Bushwacker/Black Pearl fan club either (have demoed the Bushwacker) but they clearly have a solid following, mainly I suspect, from lighter/smaller people than me. My daughter is still quite petite (5ft3.5/161cm and 57kg) and she might find it to her liking too, and possibly the Kenja will be too stiff. We did rent some Kenjas for her to demo today, but the lifts went on wind hold just as we arrived at the ski area, so we will have to try again another time. The Atomic seems like a good compromise (although maybe compromise is the wrong word to describe it) between the 2 others, and it might be a better ski for future-proofing.

elemmac

Angel Diva
If you're afraid the kenjas are going to be too stiff, maybe check out the Volkl Yumi? There's number of ladies on this site (or their daughters) that have and love them. I feel like they'd be a good step moving from the misconducts.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm definitely not in the Bushwacker/Black Pearl fan club either (have demoed the Bushwacker) but they clearly have a solid following, mainly I suspect, from lighter/smaller people than me. My daughter is still quite petite (5ft3.5/161cm and 57kg) and she might find it to her liking too, and possibly the Kenja will be too stiff. We did rent some Kenjas for her to demo today, but the lifts went on wind hold just as we arrived at the ski area, so we will have to try again another time. The Atomic seems like a good compromise (although maybe compromise is the wrong word to describe it) between the 2 others, and it might be a better ski for future-proofing.

I'm as small and paperweight as can be and didn't care for the Black Pearls at all, so I'm not even sure it's a weight thing. Also, ditto @elemmac ... the Yumis may be a good option too. I traded my Kenjas for those, and I can definitely work/flex the ski better. They still have the basic feel of a Volkl, energetic, poppy, grippy... just softer.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
@Magnatude , Since your daughter has had race training, and will ski chutes, I'm sure she'll be fine on the Kenja. It is a forgiving ski, just not that soft. I think coming off the Missconduct, she'd love the Kenja. As @nopoleskier says, the Atomics are a very nice ski too and so it's most likely a toss-up between the 2.

Or...the Yumis, as tinymoose advises. I watch her rip all over the place on hers!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update -- we found a deal on the Atomic Vantages, and they arrived around the same time as rowing training began in earnest, so she's really only had a couple of days skiing on them. But she likes them, so that's good. Probably any of the skis I mentioned would have been fine. She did end up taking up the Kenjas out for a good day of skiing with her friends, and she loved them too --I was just reluctant to pay full retail at $1500. We're heading to Canada in January, so the Atomics should get a good workout then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly