• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2014 Cycle Stoke Thread

altagirl

Staff member
Actually, I'm in the Ogden area now! Guess I need to update my profile :becky:
thanks for checking into it!
The Park City camp is July 26th- 27th. But it is sold out. There is a waiting list though. And you can also volunteer and ride as a sweep or assistant, which can be good for picking up some tips, even though you wouldn't get personal attention, and just meeting other riders if that appeals to you at all.

There is also one in Fruita, Sept 20-21, which has spots available.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contesstant aren't you still weird having moved to Ogden? :wink:
We will miss you at the diva thing.

Yes, I will always be weird!

The Park City camp is July 26th- 27th. But it is sold out. There is a waiting list though. And you can also volunteer and ride as a sweep or assistant, which can be good for picking up some tips, even though you wouldn't get personal attention, and just meeting other riders if that appeals to you at all.

There is also one in Fruita, Sept 20-21, which has spots available.

So that weekend in July there is actually a one-day clinic at Snowbasin that I am looking at taking.
That being said, none of them are really in our budget right now--there's something unsettling about having a set income for the past 20 years that right now isn't there, thanks to military retirement! Eek!

altagirl

Staff member
Yes, I will always be weird!

So that weekend in July there is actually a one-day clinic at Snowbasin that I am looking at taking.
That being said, none of them are really in our budget right now--there's something unsettling about having a set income for the past 20 years that right now isn't there, thanks to military retirement! Eek!
Go volunteer then, if you get a chance. I have a friend who volunteered as a photographer and said she learned a lot just watching. She budgeted for the next year, but it's better than nothing to watch. I know that I pick things up by watching. They also need volunteers to keep time, sign people in, spot people on obstacles, set up lunch and sweep on rides. You can volunteer for half a day, mornings are technical skills in a grass field, afternoons are rides, or a full day, or both days.

If nothing else, you will know if it's worth your money for next year. And there are 15 scholarship opportunities/year too that you could apply for for Fruita or next year. They have sponsors who pay for a number of people to attend who don't have the budget. And IMHO, being part of a military family is a good reason!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much for suggesting this! I might just have to do that! We normally have the money, just not this year with the house being built and the job transition going on. My er, um new bike was NOT cheap :becky: Throw in one for my husband and eek!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing one in three weeks and hope it's as great as I hear! I just took a week off to practice. Will have to dig out some pictures from the week. The wildflowers are amazing in Winter Park right now!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rode Park City today with my husband and some other friends. I was grinning ear-to-ear because I have discovered that the trails at Snowbasin are VERY rocky and the PC trails were a lot smoother! We rode 10 miles with 1600 feet of climbing. I am starting to climb really well. Still slow but I just keep those wheels turning.

On the downhills, however, I need a lot of work! Hit a section in an aspen grove that had a series of fairly high roots, almost like steps, that were followed by a sharp turn. I hit the roots too fast, but was OK until the turn. (I still really suck at sharp turns, switchbacks!)

Got some pretty good gashes and bruises:
10509657_10204571417831754_7011961498369071121_n.jpg

But still had a great day with great new friends!
10491199_10204573504323915_1244285356867708284_n.jpg

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
On the downhills, however, I need a lot of work! Hit a section in an aspen grove that had a series of fairly high roots, almost like steps, that were followed by a sharp turn. I hit the roots too fast, but was OK until the turn. (I still really suck at sharp turns, switchbacks!)

That sounds like John's Trail? One of my favorites - I love those aspens!

And some skills training will turn that right around and you'll love that stuff! :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like John's Trail? One of my favorites - I love those aspens!

And some skills training will turn that right around and you'll love that stuff! :smile:

It was actually mid-mountain trail. We went up Armstrong, crossed over mid-mountain to hit Spiros. (I hated the bottom of Spiros--a series of very loose switchbacks.) I did read about John's and its roots and said "no thanks!"

Armstrong was GREAT! Just enough rocky stuff to add a challenge without being exhausting mentally. I am finding that the rocky sections (read: entire trails) at Snowbasin exhaust me mentally more than physically. I have so many incidents of fear that I just can't handle it anymore.

Am taking a clinic at Snowbasin in two weeks :thumbsup: The ladies I am riding with all share my experience from their early days of riding. It is HARD! It is a hard sport to learn. For someone who is not naturally gifted with great situational body awareness, it is twice as hard. I have the same issues with skiing.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dunno. I like that last picture of you. Fierce!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed, last picture is pretty cool. They all are.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
IMG_2430.JPG.jpeg

Was camping for a week with SO and his kids this past week in Kananaskis Country, and we had an AMAZING time exploring the town trails in Canmore. Did a bunch of town trails, also some really great single track off the town trails and at the Canmore Nordic Centre. So much fun! The kids are tough. I asked DD, what was your favourite part, and she said "That awesome small trail with all the roots and the steep downhill!" My kind of girl :smile:

This is a picture of us above Three Sisters village, after a steep rooty climb with switchbacks out of the river valley. The kids and I made it up the switchbacks. SO had to carry his wimpy hybrid bike up the stairs :thumbsup:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
oops - not sure how that got rotated, but I have no idea how to get it right side up. Help, moderators?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Here are some pics from the Sugar Showdown

The littlest of the Three Little Pigs
10502045_10154352261490080_2969749965827949392_n.jpg

First tabletop ever... now I have to work on how to get (more) air off these things.
img_9047.jpg

I need to remember that this is FUN and not to be so fricken serious
img_9143.jpg
@geargrrl you are so badass! this is an awesome picture!

mtnbikerskierchick

Certified Ski Diva
My bike season always starts a bit late as I tend to milk the skiing as long as I can - and as long as it stays pretty good. But, it's been a good season so far on the bike and I've found a renewed passion for the sport once again.... something I've lost in the last few years. Part of my renewed passion is due to being able to ride with some lovely ladies once again.

Here's some random pictures of riding this summer in the Crested Butte area. We're called the "Wildflower Capital" for a reason ;)

Let's start with my favorite pic so far this season - me riding Tony's Trail (just outside of town).
78.jpg

Chrissy riding toward Star Pass.
DSCN5661_chrissy.jpg

Heather and Chrissy, final climb to Star Pass.
DSCN5665RidingToStar.jpg

401 after work ride.
DSCN5396valleyview.jpg

Me, cross-country ride at the ski area (West side trail).
IMG_0354Westside.jpg

Teocalli Ridge ride. Grete.
DSCN5137GreteWildflowers.jpg

DSCN5139GreteTrail.jpg

Me.
IMG_0280BritFlax.jpg

Heather on Strand Bonus.
DSCN4991heatherwildflowers-800x573.jpg

Heather on Farris Creek.
DSCN4985forestfairies-800x600.jpg

Hope all of you are enjoying a great summer of riding too!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna