• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Attiva Fuego

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The ski

Volkl Attiva Fuego 154
11.6 m turn radius
121-73-105

The skier

Intermediate, 2nd year skier. 5'4 ~180. Likes a shorter ski, enjoys going fast on easy cruisers.

The conditions

It was a beautiful day! Conditions were varied. Some nice soft snow, ice in shady spots and slush in sunny spots and some death cookies for good measure.

Short Turns - 5
Medium Turns - 4
Long Turns - 4
Rebound - 5
Stability - 4
Forgiveness - 3
Grip - 4
Steeps n/a
Crud 4
Powder n/a
Ice 4

Tested Length Felt: Just Right
Ski Sidecut Felt: Just Right
Ski Flex Felt: Just Right
Best Described As: Nimble and world rocking!

I love this ski! Nimble, fast, stable. Whatever I wanted to do, wherever I wanted to go this ski was game. I did not want to give it back. I didn't get enough time with the skis though, as when I was taking them out, a woman came and wanted a go on them. She was on the Tierras, which I hadn't tried, and I told her that after I had a run on the Fuegos we could switch. She followed me down the path of my choice, and I convinced myself to keep my deal despite the skis devilish temptations. Unfortunately when we got back to the tent, there was someone waiting for the Tierra, and the rep told her that the woman on them said she'd be back with them after a run, but neglected to mention that we were planning on switching skis. Didn't end up getting to try the Tierras. Oh well, the Fuego rocked my world enough for the both of them.

Been daydreaming about the Fischer Vision Vapor and the Volkl Attiva Fuego all week.

Here's a pic

Fuego08S.jpg

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
num,

Thanks for the great review. I've been thinking of trying them as skinnier ski for my quiver. Now, I will HAVE to!!!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I haven't skied them (yet), but they seem to be fun for a wide range of abilities, which is a good sign. My ex-racer, very aggressive, very good-skiing friend has a pair that her husband bought to add to her quiver. She loves them! Thinks they're fun and snappy and they do great work on her turn of choice-- very, very fast little short-swing turns.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too funny. Once again, we had the same feelings about our demo, although I tried both the 154 and the 161 and preferred the longer one.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
I second num's review of the Fuegos. I am 5'2" - 110 lbs - advanced skiier and just added the Fuegos (154) to my quiver. It took me a few turns to get on top of these new toys, but once I did, OMG! They are so fast and stable and quick turning - I had a smile on my face the whole time. Fun, Fun, Fun. I was so surprised how they floated through the Whistler powder, as they are a carving ski - they loved it and so did I. I cranked them through crud, slush, corderoy, powder and was still smiling. I love these skis. Good for confidence building! Did I mention fun?
Island Girl:smile: :smile: :smile:

C

CMCM

Hmmm....I think I'll have to demo these. I've heard so many good things about Volkls....but I don't know which size. My 150 Noridcas were too short, I think. My Salomon Origins are 162, but somehow I don't think I'd want to ski a carver like the Fuego that long. But I'm curious about the edge grip in particular....I've heard Volkls excel in the edge grip.

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
CMCM - you should definately give these skis a demo. The edge is postive, quick and easy. These skis are amazing in my opinion. My other carvers are 160 and a mens skis - the Attiva's are 154 and a women's ski. I guess I finally realized what I have been missing. These skis take less effort! At 5'2" - this is the perfect length for me. Give them a try - I would be interested to know what you think.
:ski2:
island Girl

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on my demo of both the 154 and the 161, I'd give everyone this run down:

Willingnss to turn - same
Turn shape - same
Turn size - same

Forgiveness at very slow speeds - 154 gets the nod
Willingness to skid - 154 gets the nod

Smoothness on hard snow (ice) - 161 gets the nod
Stability at speed - 161 gets the nod
Ability to bust crud - 161 gets the nod
Ability to float - 161 gets the nod

So, if any of these 4 qualities are a priority, upsize!

C

CMCM

CMCM, what's your weight, ability and skiing style?

I'm 5'7", about 145 to 150 right now, solid intermediate to high intermediate, not a particularly fast or aggressive skier by nature, but still pretty strong in my style, I think....I put a lot of energy in my turns although I've been trying to back off that a bit with my Origins, and I mostly stay on piste and I'm still not nuts about the bumps....Does this sound wrong match for the Fuego?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not at all! Sounds like the perfect ski for you.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. You might love it and you might not, but can't not try it!

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
You will never know unless you try them. It really is fun demoing diffierent skis. Sometimes you need a new ski to take you to the next level.

robynb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 5'7", about 145 to 150 right now, solid intermediate to high intermediate, not a particularly fast or aggressive skier by nature, but still pretty strong in my style, I think....I put a lot of energy in my turns although I've been trying to back off that a bit with my Origins, and I mostly stay on piste and I'm still not nuts about the bumps....Does this sound wrong match for the Fuego?

I'd be interested to see how you like the Fuegos. I demod a bunch of skis this year but never got to that one. Was curious about the Origin as well. I think my favorites this year were the Rossi Attraxion and I think it was the Fischer Vision. I'm 5'3 and 110 – advanced skier

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't get me wrong, the Vision 70 is a fun fun ski, and it can zip. But the Fuego! Zoom, zip, zing! I'd like to ski them back to back before talking more, but the Fuegos were light and full of energy, with everything I like about the Vision 70s in high doses.

robynb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't get me wrong, the Vision 70 is a fun fun ski, and it can zip. But the Fuego! Zoom, zip, zing! I'd like to ski them back to back before talking more, but the Fuegos were light and full of energy, with everything I like about the Vision 70s in high doses.

Looks like I'm going to have to add them to my list!

RuthB

Angel Diva
I third nums review and island girls comments about smiling are so true. I liked them so much I ordered a pair from the demo guy and picked them up that evening - and they look good to boot.

Sherry

Diva in Training
Sounds good to me.

I bought a pair of the Fuegos at a ski sale a few months ago. Needless to say, I have yet to ski them. I was looking for something new and since they were rentals, I can lend them to friends who come up to ski. I'm 5'5" 125lbs and a black diamond girl. I'm a little aggressive for my age, but I'm trying to be sure there is nothing left when I finally go.

I was told they were hot and fun, maybe a bit more than my older 165 Scream pilots. They're a bit shorter as well. Sounds like they didn't lie to me. Right now they are a pig in a poke.

WHEN IS IT GOING TO SNOW!!!!

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
what size Fuegos did you get?

Per VG's assessment I wish I could afford a pair of carvers in both 154 and 161. I love turning but am aggressive and turn-y on the steeps (154) but also like fast, larger radius turns on open slopes (161?).

I worry I will overski my new Nordica Firefoxes. I'm 5' 2", 125 lbs so 154 was the way to go in those. I got them late March and only skied once in spring conditions so am itching to get out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly