• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommended Daughter's 1st Adult Women's Carving Ski ??

Julie0628

Diva in Training
Hi,
I was hoping to get your opinion: best recommended first women's adult carving ski? Meaning, the transition out of the "junior skis" category. The kids have always been into the "junior twin tips." She has now expressed interest in getting her 1st adult carving ski. She's 10 and half years old, but big for her size. She's been skiing since 3 yo. She's 4 ft 11 inches tall, weight 108 lbs. She makes the fun quick turns, finding the powder on the trail sides :smile:. Most of the time, we're on groomers.
I researched a bit, and came across these:

Rossignol Famous 2 (tip rocker/camber)
Atomic Vantage X 74 (tip rocker/camber)
Volkl Flair 73 (tip rocker/camber)
Blizzard Alight 7.7 (rocker/camber/rocker)
Atomic Affinity

Thank you! :smile:
Julie

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Julie! Where do you usually ski? And does she have her own boots?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Perhaps one of the Volkl Flair models? I say this only because I had the Charisma and it was great fun. I'm not savvy about the Flair lineup, but it seems to be their women's carving line that replaced the Charisma and its sisters.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi,
I was hoping to get your opinion: best recommended first women's adult carving ski? Meaning, the transition out of the "junior skis" category. The kids have always been into the "junior twin tips." She has now expressed interest in getting her 1st adult carving ski. She's 10 and half years old, but big for her size. She's been skiing since 3 yo. She's 4 ft 11 inches tall, weight 108 lbs. She makes the fun quick turns, finding the powder on the trail sides :smile:. Most of the time, we're on groomers.
I researched a bit, and came across these:

Rossignol Famous 2 (tip rocker/camber)
Atomic Vantage X 74 (tip rocker/camber)
Volkl Flair 73 (tip rocker/camber)
Blizzard Alight 7.7 (rocker/camber/rocker)
Atomic Affinity

Thank you! :smile:
Julie
Keeping in mind that these skis are all good options and can be found in shorter sizes and that the amount of rocker in the tip is minimal, you're on the right track.
Of those on the list, I'd lean toward the Vantage, Flair or Allight.
The Vantage may have more of the damp feeling that she may tend to find in her twin tips.

One thing to be careful with when you're looking at these skis is that her boot sole length (at her size) may be too small to go into a system binding. Check on that before you put the $$ on the line. If that's the case, we can see about finding her a carving ski that comes flat.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing to be careful with when you're looking at these skis is that her boot sole length (at her size) may be too small to go into a system binding. Check on that before you put the $$ on the line. If that's the case, we can see about finding her a carving ski that comes flat.
I just did some digging on our site because I knew we had somewhere that the binding adjustment range was listed for demo bindings, which tends to be the same range for system ski bindings.
If you go to this section, you will see the full list of binding specs. At the bottom of each page is a list of demo binding adjustment ranges.
https://www.pugski.com/forums/gear-reviews-and-comparisons.11/
Example: Atomic/Solomon starts at 262mm smallest boot sole length.
Atomic/Salomon Warden 11 DT
  • Adjustment range: 262-382mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes
  • Sole compatibility: DIN
  • Pluses: Lightweight, easy step-in
  • Minuses: No WTR
  • Others to consider: Look NX 12 Konect, Marker Squire 11 D, Tyrolia Attack2 11 AT Demo

Atomic/Salomon Warden 13 DT

• Adjustment range: 262-382cm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes, w/manual AFD
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk, WTR, MNC
  • Pluses: Full MNC
  • Minuses: Delta changes from sole to sole
  • Others to consider: Look SPX 12 Konect, Marker Griffon 13 D, Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo

mustski

Angel Diva
Keeping in mind that these skis are all good options and can be found in shorter sizes and that the amount of rocker in the tip is minimal, you're on the right track.
Of those on the list, I'd lean toward the Vantage, Flair or Allight.
The Vantage may have more of the damp feeling that she may tend to find in her twin tips.

Good point! What size boots is she wearing? AND ...:welcome:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently I posted in this thread but now it's gone...:bag:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly