• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lange 110LV or Tecnica Mach 95lv?

SkiNW

Diva in Training
Hi everyone, I'm going to Chile in a month and my old boots are SHOT. I was skiing in Nordica Hot Rods 90w. My feet never hurt, rarely got cold, but the boots always felt a little big. On really cold days, they were too stiff, but I could deal just fine. I hear boots are not as stiff these days. I measure a 24.5, but ski in 23.5. I think I have a lv foot since everyone keeps recommending langes.

Here's my problem. I can flex the Lange 110lv in my living room, but it's 75 degrees. I'm worried about how stiff they'll be on the mountain. The only other pair of boots that fits (tried on about 10 others) is the Tecnica Mach 1 95 LV. I tried the Lange 80lv, but in the store there was nothing too them.

Anyone have comments on either of these boots? I'm a 43 year old expert skier who skis mainly whistler and some resorts close to Seattle. 5'4" and 125lbs. I ski on Line Soulmate 90s. Help!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're in Seattle - I'm sure there are some good fitters in the area. A local expert is worth a million internet opinions, especially when it comes to boots.

Jilly

Staff member
Get thee to a boot fitter. And just for interest that Technica at 95 might be stiffer than the Lange. There is no standard for flex. Whistler might be worth the trip. I think we're still around 30% on your buck. Franyk and Co or Whistler Village Sports. Too bad my boot fitter in back east. He works out Whistler Village Sports.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you search some of theads there are comparions of the two boots .
FYI I'm similar stats to you I have the 16/17 Mach 1 lv in 105.
Are you looking at this seasons or the next seasons 2017/18 boot?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If you search some of theads there are comparions of the two boots .
FYI I'm similar stats to you I have the 16/17 Mach 1 lv in 105.
Are you looking at this seasons or the next seasons 2017/18 boot?
I may be looking at boots for next year to replace my Technica Inferno Crush from 2014 ish.... Would the Mach 1 lv 95 be similar. The inferno crush had 100 flex index but had boot fitter soften up a bit at the time...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm guessing you have pretty narrow feet; if you get a chance, try on the Atomic Hawx Ultra.

After much frustration last year, I researched every current boot recommended in reviews for narrow feet and got a list of about 5. Then I went around to a bunch of shops until I had found all of them and tried them on. The Hawx Ultra had far and away the most snug fit in the heel and ankle, which worked for me.

The blue Langes will definitely get stiff. I had a pair last year and on really cold days I often had to wait in the lodge for an hour or so before I could get them off my feet. I think that other Lange models use different plastic that doesn't stiffen so much, but the blue ones...oy.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I may be looking at boots for next year to replace my Technica Inferno Crush from 2014 ish.... Would the Mach 1 lv 95 be similar. The inferno crush had 100 flex index but had boot fitter soften up a bit at the time...
I expect so. I went from Tecnica Attiva series to Tecnica Inferno series, and Mach 1 LV is the successor to both, same last. I was heading in that direction but totally switched brands. Good luck.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm guessing you have pretty narrow feet; if you get a chance, try on the Atomic Hawx Ultra.

After much frustration last year, I researched every current boot recommended in reviews for narrow feet and got a list of about 5. Then I went around to a bunch of shops until I had found all of them and tried them on. The Hawx Ultra had far and away the most snug fit in the heel and ankle, which worked for me.

The blue Langes will definitely get stiff. I had a pair last year and on really cold days I often had to wait in the lodge for an hour or so before I could get them off my feet. I think that other Lange models use different plastic that doesn't stiffen so much, but the blue ones...oy.

The all blue Lange's are a different beast from the 110 LV, the 110 LV would not be as stiff, nor have the same properties as the all blue (if that's what you are referencing, if not ignore me).

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The all blue Lange's are a different beast from the 110 LV, the 110 LV would not be as stiff, nor have the same properties as the all blue (if that's what you are referencing, if not ignore me).

I may be referring to the boot incorrectly? I had the all-blue Lange 110 LV (low volume), but not a race plug, just the consumer model and they became pretty stiff in the cold. But the other Langes, XT maybe? are made from different plastic and I think behave differently. I believe the XTs are on the same last, so if someone like's the fit of a Lange they may be able to get more pliable plastic.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@SkiNW -
Try the Lange 110 XT LV? They are white with the funky yellow color (not the full yellow ones as those are the Free Tour, and I have heard negative things about those). I have the Lange XT 90 and have loved them, but may try moving to the LV and upping the flex to tighten things up.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SkiNW -
Try the Lange 110 XT LV? They are white with the funky yellow color (not the full yellow ones as those are the Free Tour, and I have heard negative things about those). I have the Lange XT 90 and have loved them, but may try moving to the LV and upping the flex to tighten things up.
I have the Lange XT LV 110s. I love them, but I would go to a boot fitter. There might be others that fit you better.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have the Lange XT LV 110s. I love them, but I would go to a boot fitter. There might be others that fit you better.

After the experience we had with my daughter, I am now of the firm mind to do my research, and then search for it in stock at a spot that has a reputable fitter. In my opinion, any fitter that works for a shop is at the mercy of what they carry.

My daughter has a tough to fit foot (narrow heel, narrow-med forefoot, high instep - she is also now 5'11" with a 13" calf) - a very good boot fitter put her in the best fit they had, and felt it would work. Both her first boot, and then a junior race boot (she wasn't as tall at the time), were a nightmare. The fitter was great and kept trying tweaks as well as other boots - we even waited until the start of the following season to check out new stock. After putting her in everything he had, we all cried uncle, and he refunded us. After that, we did our research, found a shop that carried the boots we felt might work in another state, and went sleuthing. Came up empty at the first couple - their fitters tried to make boots they had work, but they didn't work. We found the boot we thought was the right fit, but the wrong flex, and in my opinion a shell size too big - we searched it out in the proper size/flex and bingo! The last shop's fitter confirmed it was a great choice, tweaked it, and they both proclaimed it a fit.

I almost bought the LV 110 when I got my 90s a few years ago, but at the time I was apprehensive about the flex; I have tried them on a couple more times over the last two years, and feel fairly confident we would be friends, lol. At Ursula's recommendation, I went to a boot fitter at Big Sky that made my custom insoles, and that helped make me happy enough with the 90s....but I could be happier :wink:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lisamamot I'm glad your daughter found a boot that worked. What was it, btw? Her feet sound a lot like mine and I had a lot of trouble, too, which is why I ask.

I'm in a men's Atomic Hawx Ultra, which is the snuggest-feeling boot, especially in the heel, of all the many, many I tried. There is a women's version, but I didn't get a chance to try it on, and so went with the men's, which works fine (though I want to try the women's if I can ever find it in stock). I also ended up buying ZipFit Gara liners, because they have very thin material around the forefoot, but the ability to add volume to the heel/ankle area to really get a perfect fit.

I was in the blue RS Langes for part of a season before I gave up on them. The flex was too stiff for me to begin with and then when it got super cold, they hardened even more. I wasn't sorry to replace them with the Atomics.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot I'm glad your daughter found a boot that worked. What was it, btw? Her feet sound a lot like mine and I had a lot of trouble, too, which is why I ask.

I'm in a men's Atomic Hawx Ultra, which is the snuggest-feeling boot, especially in the heel, of all the many, many I tried. There is a women's version, but I didn't get a chance to try it on, and so went with the men's, which works fine (though I want to try the women's if I can ever find it in stock). I also ended up buying ZipFit Gara liners, because they have very thin material around the forefoot, but the ability to add volume to the heel/ankle area to really get a perfect fit.

I was in the blue RS Langes for part of a season before I gave up on them. The flex was too stiff for me to begin with and then when it got super cold, they hardened even more. I wasn't sorry to replace them with the Atomics.

My daughter’s boot is the Nordica GPX 95W.

Aspenaut

Certified Ski Diva
My daughter’s boot is the Nordica GPX 95W.
A good boot fitter is key! A good one will recognise your foot type, quiz you on your skiing style and make a match. The last time I went boot shopping, I had an idea of what I wanted from reading reviews, but my boot fitter didn’t think it would be right for me. I think it was a Dalbello boot. My foot is wider near the front with a narrow heel, plus I have some funny bones. Lange is too narrow for me. I ended up with a pair of Tecnica Mach 1 105 (MV I think) and am really happy with them. They were molded to my feet, so I had no blisters or other break in issues. They are super responsive and not too hard to flex even in wintery conditions. I’m about 5’5” and about about 130lbs. Hope that helps. Good luck with the search!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly