• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What do you like best about summer?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, we all love winter here. But here we are, smack dab in mid-June. For most of us, skiing is DONE. But there has to be something you love about the off season. So let's hear it: what do you like best about summer?

For me, it's not being cold. I love skiing, and though I dress for it pretty well, hey, it's winter! It's cold! I really like hanging out in a T-shirt and shorts, going barefoot and leaving the windows open. Plus I love all the flowers and foliage.

What about you?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Palisade peaches! I eat so many peaches during the month they're available that I almost make myself sick.

I love the cool mornings, the feeling of stepping into the air conditioning after being overheated, the feel of stepping into the heat after being overcooled, the feeling of flip flops and bare feet. I love hiking and biking and not worrying about avalanches, too!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love love love flip flops and being barefoot, if I could just go barefoot always I would. I like laying on the beach, walking on the beach, having my feet in the sand, yoga outside, long days, watching the sunset and still being nice and warm, eating outside on/near the water at restaurants. My favorite place ever to eat in the summer (even though the food isn't anything special at all) that I just discovered last year is Paddy's in Misquamicut beach in RI. They have tables on the sand with awesome views of the ocean, I absolutely love eating and having my flip flops off under the table with my feet dug into the sand and the sights and sounds of the waves breaking. They have fun frozen drinks as well.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh oh! I love that it's not getting dark at 3:30pm. Although it's true that it's really hard to get enough sleep in the summer, because it gets light so early!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh oh! I love that it's not getting dark at 3:30pm. Although it's true that it's really hard to get enough sleep in the summer, because it gets light so early!

That's what black out curtains are for in the morning! :wink: On weekdays I need all the help I can get to wake up, I am so not a morning person.. but on weekends I like to make it as dark as possible to sleep in when I can, which is more rare than I wish it was!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what black out curtains are for in the morning! :wink: On weekdays I need all the help I can get to wake up, I am so not a morning person.. but on weekends I like to make it as dark as possible to sleep in when I can, which is more rare than I wish it was!

I've been thinking about this, but we have plantation shutters on the closest windows. I might be able to do something with the windows on the far side. You would think solid wood would be enough, but those little gaps, man!

altagirl

Staff member
I'm such a weirdo. The idea of sleeping in after the sun is up stresses me out. I can go to bed early, even before the sun is down, but I feel like morning is the best part of the day and sleeping in feels like missing out. But I don't use an alarm clock except in rare situations, so I rarely feel like I'm getting up "early". I'm just no good at, and honestly don't actually like sleeping in late.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm such a weirdo. The idea of sleeping in after the sun is up stresses me out. I can go to bed early, even before the sun is down, but I feel like morning is the best part of the day and sleeping in feels like missing out. But I don't use an alarm clock except in rare situations, so I rarely feel like I'm getting up "early". I'm just no good at, and honestly don't actually like sleeping in late.

Man, I wish!

Although the older I get, the harder it is to stay asleep after the sun is up. Not because I feel like I'm missing out - my body just won't let me stay asleep, even if I barely slept the night before.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I have thought about this is a lot. I like exactly 2 things about summer:
1) long days
2) being able to wear sundresses

Other than that, there's nothing I can do in the summer that I can't do in the spring or fall with a lot less sweat involved. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
Besides the obvious stuff like warmth and alpine hiking, the local produce and fish. Grocery store fruit--especially berries--is the worst. But the local produce here is fantastic, and the local berries especially...sigh. I buy at least a flat a week, 2 if I'm baking, and just gorge. There are quite a few things besides berries that I only ever eat when they are local so I really look forward to asparagus/corn/Rainier cherries/etc coming into season. Local salmon, halibut and spot prawns are in season too. Fish is the only meat I eat so that it's nice to be eating fresh rather than frozen salmon and halibut.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I wish I was someone who didn't need an alarm clock, I battle with that darn thing every single weekday.. Oh, actually I battle with 2 because I have a regular alarm clock that is crazy loud and then multiple I set on my phone. I have the hardest time waking up, a bomb could go off sometimes and I swear I wouldn't budge, I apparently wake up and press snooze without even knowing it most days and eventually I wake up in a panic of omg what time is it?!!?!? It gives me major anxiety if I absolutely have to get up really early for something important because I'm never sure exactly how effective the alarm will be at getting me up. It's probably the relaxation I feel when I don't have to set an alarm some mornings that is so satisfying versus actually sleeping in because my body normally wakes me up by 7-8 anyway lol. Weekdays trying to get up between 5 and 6 am is the major problem.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I was someone who didn't need an alarm clock, I battle with that darn thing every single weekday.. Oh, actually I battle with 2 because I have a regular alarm clock that is crazy loud and then multiple I set on my phone. I have the hardest time waking up, a bomb could go off sometimes and I swear I wouldn't budge, I apparently wake up and press snooze without even knowing it most days and eventually I wake up in a panic of omg what time is it?!!?!? It gives me major anxiety if I absolutely have to get up really early for something important because I'm never sure exactly how effective the alarm will be at getting me up. It's probably the relaxation I feel when I don't have to set an alarm some mornings that is so satisfying versus actually sleeping in because my body normally wakes me up by 7-8 anyway lol. Weekdays trying to get up between 5 and 6 am is the major problem.

My college boyfriend glued an upside down computer chip to his snooze button. You know, prongs up! Then when he hit the snooze button one day, he reflexively threw the alarm clock across the room!

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) I love being able to just slip on a pair of sandals and go out. No need to spend time getting on your boots and coat or brushing snow off your car while you wait for it to warm up.

2) Summer means local produce so I try to visit my local farmer's market whenever I can. Nothing beats the fresh strawberries that we have in Quebec.

3) In summer I also enjoy trying to get outside at every chance I get. It doesn't matter if it's going for a run, eating supper or reading on my balcony I just love to get outside.

Jilly

Staff member
1. Not bundling up and no socks!! Don't know what is it about socks...but
2. Fresh produce too. We have a farmer's market 3 X a week here. And in a short drive there is all kinds of stuff growing. I live 20 min from Ontario newest wine producing area, new micro-breweries and now cideries.
3. Water....love being in it, on it etc. I have a place just over 1 hour away, on a spring fed lake.
4. Just being outside. I getting better at BBQ'ing. Love to be outdoors after a long day at the office.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love: the heat and warm weather, being able to wear shorts and t shirts, kayaking, grilling out, eating huge ice creams from Kimball Farms, relaxing on my porch, sleeping with the windows open and not freezing. I find it so much easier to get up when it's light and warm out in the morning too. I'm probably a weird one on this forum, as I love the summer heat!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Things I like about summer:
- Fresh tomatoes
- Riding my bike
- "Cousin Week" with our family on Lake Champlain

Things I don't like about summer:
- Sweating through my clothes on the way to work
- Sweating when I'm standing still doing nothing
- Bugs
- Sunscreen
- Getting into a hot car and then sticking to the car seat

If the entire summer was 75 degrees with clear blue skies, I would like summer. The minute the temperature goes above that, summer becomes a hot, sticky, stinky mess for me. Ugh. I'll take socks and sweaters over sunscreen and sweat any day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly