• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

marzNC

Angel Diva
Although it may seem a little early, here's a thread is for people who ski anywhere in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, southern NY, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, or North Carolina, as well as those who just want to talk about MidA/SE snow. Never feels too early to plan for meeting up with Mid-A or SE Divas.

NC: Sugar, Beech, Appalachian, Cataloochee

VA: Massanutten, Wintergreen, Bryce
MD: Wisp
WV: Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Timberline, Winterplace

PA, western: Blue Knob, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain
PA, closest to DC: Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail
PA, eastern: Elk, Montage, Jack Frost, Blue, Camelback, Bear Creek, Big Boulder

NY Catskills: Belleayre, Hunter, Windham, Plattekill

For the Mid-Atlantic discussion for 2015-16, click here

marzNC

Angel Diva
In case you missed it, there is a new ski area in the list for western PA. Laurel Mountain is all set to go. Trails have been cleared and updated and a new lift was installed. Since LM has the same owner as 7Springs and Hidden Valley, now there is another triple pass in PA besides Snowtime (Whitetail, Roundtop, Liberty).

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone ever attended the Women's Seminar at Jack Frost?

https://www.jfbb.com/clinics/

Wondering if it's worthwhile.
Don't know much at Jack Frost. But sounds like it has a very strong ski school. In 2013, there were three instructors from Jack Frost Big Boulder on the PSIA Alpine Dev Team. Pretty sure all Dev team members are PSIA Level 3. The Jack Frost terrain separates green, blue, black from one side of the mountain to another. It's an upside-down ski area with the lodge at the top. Jack Frost opened in 1972 but Big Boulder has been around since 1947. One of the first places to use snowmaking.

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 5.34.43 PM.png

If I lived closer to Jack Frost, I would definitely be checking out the free mid-week clinics for women and seniors. As I've learned at Massanutten, can learn a lot from an experienced instructor even with limited terrain.

The 2-day women's clinic is quite a deal for $195 since that also includes lift tickets and meals. The Elk 1-day Women's Clinics are about $100.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live near Jack Frost and have the Peak Pass, so I may take a personal day or get lucky with a snow day and check out the midweek clinics.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I live near Jack Frost and have the Peak Pass, so I may take a personal day or get lucky with a snow day and check out the midweek clinics.
Be interested to hear how it goes if you get there.

Have you heard about the Elk Women's Clinics? Here what I wrote about my experience a few years ago. @maggie198 has been going for a while since that's more or less her home mountain. They do it three times a season, usually a Saturday early in Jan, Feb, Mar.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/tr-elk-mountain-pa-womens-clinic-3-1-14.17849/

That sounds great; I will try to seek out a clinic. I've heard good things about Elk and look forward to skiing there.

I snowboarded at Elk years ago and don't remember much other than I liked it. I do remember was living out west at the time and Elk at just gotten a powder dumping and I was as happy as a pig in you know what but many of the people I encountered weren't very happy as the conditions were quite an adjustment from what they usually get. I remember having a blast though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, the owner of DCSki must be busy this fall. No ski swap article yet. What's below is based on the 2015 list. If there are dates, then I found the 2016 dates. Anyone know anything about the ones with question marks? @AltaEgo? @Marigee ?

Oct. 1-2: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol
mid Oct?: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
late Oct?: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap

early Nov?: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 5-6: Freestyle in Charlottesville
Nov. 25-27: Ski Haus in Brewster
Nove. 25-27: Ski Haus in New Milford
Nov. 25: Wintergreen swap - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol
Dec. 3-4: Ski Haus in New Milford

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oops, looked at the wrong Ski Haus.

Oct. 15-16: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
Oct. 22: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap

Nov. 5-6: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Dec. 6: Ski Haus in Annapolis

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got updates elsewhere.

Oct. 1: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Oct. 1: REI Member Sale (most locations)
Oct. 1-2: World Cup - Mechanicsburg PA

Oct. 8: Bikles' Hagerstown MD
Oct. 8-9: Mountainside Sports Mechanicsburg PA
Oct. 15-16: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
Oct. 22: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap

Nov. 5: Ski Haus in Annapolis
Nov. 5-6: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 5-6: Alpine Ski Shop Sterling
Nov. 12-13: Sun and Ski Chantilly
Nov. 12-13: Baltimore Ski Swap - Towson
Nov. 20: Pro-Fit Leesburg (Whitetail Ski Patrol)

marzNC

Angel Diva
If I understand this video correctly, AT&T installed DAS (distributed antenna system) at Snowshoe in 2016. They put in over 200 boxes. That should mean ATT customers will be able to use their cell phones around Snowshoe this season.

Sound in the NRAO Quiet Zone | AT&T

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I understand this video correctly, AT&T installed DAS (distributed antenna system) at Snowshoe in 2016. They put in over 200 boxes. That should mean ATT customers will be able to use their cell phones around Snowshoe this season.

Sound in the NRAO Quiet Zone | AT&T
Great more distracted boarders on SS's runs...

That being said, I really really hope they have a cold December and can open. We booked for NYE again...

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
In case you missed it, there is a new ski area in the list for western PA. Laurel Mountain is all set to go. Trails have been cleared and updated and a new lift was installed. Since LM has the same owner as 7Springs and Hidden Valley, now there is another triple pass in PA besides Snowtime (Whitetail, Roundtop, Liberty).
https://www.laurelmountainski.com/

Here is the new website. Super pumped to see this skier's mountain re-open. I was preggos the last time it was open, so I've nevered skied it. Anyone want to join me mid-week??

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Don't know much at Jack Frost. But sounds like it has a very strong ski school. In 2013, there were three instructors from Jack Frost Big Boulder on the PSIA Alpine Dev Team. Pretty sure all Dev team members are PSIA Level 3. The Jack Frost terrain separates green, blue, black from one side of the mountain to another. It's an upside-down ski area with the lodge at the top. Jack Frost opened in 1972 but Big Boulder has been around since 1947. One of the first places to use snowmaking.

View attachment 5988

If I lived closer to Jack Frost, I would definitely be checking out the free mid-week clinics for women and seniors. As I've learned at Massanutten, can learn a lot from an experienced instructor even with limited terrain.

The 2-day women's clinic is quite a deal for $195 since that also includes lift tickets and meals. The Elk 1-day Women's Clinics are about $100.

I ski at Jack Frost pretty regularly. Not much vertical, but what is really cool is that it is a boundary-to-boundary ski area, so you can ski anywhere in the trees. There are marked glades, and some are challenging, and you can (and people do) go anywhere.

On the "double-black" side of the mountain, there's some short steep pitches, and one fun one aptly called "Elevator" that isn't a marked run, but more of a steep drop-off into the trees (requiring jump turns) from one of the runs.

Since Jack Frost sits on the Pocono Plateau, it is in its own microclimate and can get lots of snow squalls. It is usually about 10 degrees colder than at my house 40 miles to the south.

It doesn't get as crazy-busy as some other areas in PA on weekends, which is one of the other reasons why I prefer it.

The history of the ski area is pretty neat, and there are some very accomplished instructors there (as there are at Bear Creek, which is very close to my house). One of the Dev team guys, Gerardo (GH, as he is known), is one of the finest skiers I've ever seen, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Another neat ski area in PA is Montage, in Scranton.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I ski at Jack Frost pretty regularly. Not much vertical, but what is really cool is that it is a boundary-to-boundary ski area, so you can ski anywhere in the trees. There are marked glades, and some are challenging, and you can (and people do) go anywhere.

On the "double-black" side of the mountain, there's some short steep pitches, and one fun one aptly called "Elevator" that isn't a marked run, but more of a steep drop-off into the trees (requiring jump turns) from one of the runs.

Since Jack Frost sits on the Pocono Plateau, it is in its own microclimate and can get lots of snow squalls. It is usually about 10 degrees colder than at my house 40 miles to the south.

It doesn't get as crazy-busy as some other areas in PA on weekends, which is one of the other reasons why I prefer it.

The history of the ski area is pretty neat, and there are some very accomplished instructors there (as there are at Bear Creek, which is very close to my house). One of the Dev team guys, Gerardo (GH, as he is known), is one of the finest skiers I've ever seen, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Another neat ski area in PA is Montage, in Scranton.
I get the sense that most ski areas have a microclimate. Certainly true of Massanutten. The weather on the mountain can be quite different from the valleys on both sides that are <20 miles away. Also true of Plattekill in the western Catskills.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I get the sense that most ski areas have a microclimate. Certainly true of Massanutten. The weather on the mountain can be quite different from the valleys on both sides that are <20 miles away. Also true of Plattekill in the western Catskills.

Some, but not all. Jay Peak is probably the best known in the East for its microclimate. But, in PA lots of resorts do not....nay to Montage, Blue Mountain, Bear Creek, Spring Mountain, (this is my home state). The Poconos are a unique and environmentally sensitive microclimate, with distinctly different soil and vegetation, (which is what constitutes a microclimate) and Jack Frost sits smack in the middle of it. The weather can change drastically within 1 mile. I was simply giving you some information about Jack Frost since you stated you hadn't skied there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly