• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Life Hacks for Skiing

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The Clymb did a piece called Life Hacks for Skiing. Many of them seemed pretty common sense (using duct tape, packing items in boots and gloves) and some seemed a bit questionable (putting your feet in oven bags? Can you say sweat?). But it made me wonder what kind of life hacks the Divas might have. Anyone have something they'd like to share?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looking forward to what others have to say on this, because the only thing I could think of was to make a habit of storing a spare tampon and ten bucks in cash in the chest or sleeve pocket of every ski jacket, and I don't think that exactly counts as a "life hack"...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to wear a small backpack on the walk to the lift - I always overheat walking and don't want my goggles fogging up, so I put my mittens and goggles in the pack till I'm ready to click in.

Similar to the article, but I use my boot fitter's tip and put dryer sheets in my boots while the dryer is running to help with the "wet dog" smell.

I can't believe they mentioned tea bags but didn't suggest bringing your own so that you only have to pay for a cup of hot water. Better yet,bring a collapsable cup as well. Same works for Gatorade powder, Nuun energy tablets, hot chocolate, etc. ...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another not sure this counts - when we get back from a ski weekend, DH and I immediately separate out ski gear into two piles - synthetics and wool/silk. After they're clean, I put them straight back into my duffel bag - no risk of forgetting an item. (This mostly works because anything I didn't wear will still be up in the condo, but it's still a good general principal.)

elemmac

Angel Diva
Completely agree with the last one, I go through so much chapstick in a ski season...so many uses.

To add to the list:
- Forget your ski boots in the car over night? Open up one (or two if it's really cold) disposable hand warmers and drop them in your boots all the way to the toes, they warm your boots up really quickly. You can warm your boots in about 5 minutes if you also place them by a heater to add to the warmth.

- I haven't done it in awhile, but I used to always pack a Ramen Noodle package in my bag, similar to bringing your own hot cocoa or tea. Just get hot water and a cup from the lodge, put the noddles in, cap it, and you have ramen soup in a few minutes.

- Have multiple jackets and/or pants? Forget to swap your season pass to the one you're wearing? I always take my season pass off of my pants when I remove my helmet and clip it to my helmet. I only have one helmet, so I'm guaranteed to remember my pass.

I keep all my ski clothes in a separate rather large duffle bag. The second we get home stuff is washed and then put away back in the duffel it goes. It has 4 compartments, large one for pants and large pullovers. 2 side large compartments where I keep the thinner layers and a front zipper part where I put ski socks. I also keep spare ski socks in my boot bag in case I need to swap out mid day. I keep all immediate gloves and neck warmer things in my boot bag and any extraneous items go in the giant duffel.

This way when its ski weekend time I literally just have to grab my overnight bag and pack that. Ski clothes are all set.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- Have multiple jackets and/or pants? Forget to swap your season pass to the one you're wearing? I always take my season pass off of my pants when I remove my helmet and clip it to my helmet. I only have one helmet, so I'm guaranteed to remember my pass

Oooh - that's a great idea!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe they mentioned tea bags but didn't suggest bringing your own so that you only have to pay for a cup of hot water. Better yet,bring a collapsable cup as well. Same works for Gatorade powder, Nuun energy tablets, hot chocolate, etc. ...

I do this all the time. Damned if I'm going to pay $2. for a cup of tea. I've actually run into some resorts, however, where they charge you for an empty cup. Usually it's like 25 cents. No biggie, but really?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do this all the time. Damned if I'm going to pay $2. for a cup of tea. I've actually run into some resorts, however, where they charge you for an empty cup. Usually it's like 25 cents. No biggie, but really?

Wait, Vail Resorts is missing an opportunity to charge me money???

elemmac

Angel Diva
some seemed a bit questionable (putting your feet in oven bags? Can you say sweat?)

This reminds me of when I was really little and my mom would put bread bags between the liner and our snow boot shells on really wet days when we would play in the snow. But I agree...for skiing? For warmth? It's a bit odd.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This reminds me of when I was really little and my mom would put bread bags between the liner and our snow boot shells on really wet days when we would play in the snow. But I agree...for skiing? For warmth? It's a bit odd.

That whole section was odd. It leads with, "Don’t want to shell out for the latest and greatest waterproof socks?" Uh ... what? Waterproof socks? I don't typically ford creeks in my ski boots, so all I want is wicking, thanks.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wait, you all wash your woolens after skiing? I wear mine a lot before I do. But I ski several days per week so I'd be doing laundry constantly if I did!

I have a pass holder that attaches to my goggle strap. No more fumbling for my pass and since it's on my goggles, it's always in my bag.

When we ski with our daughter, we leave the house around 8:00 and go grab this awesome kids breakfast plate on the hill that is $7 and she and I split it. It keeps her much happier with a belly full of protein and some carbs from the hash browns. Who am I kidding? It keeps me happier, too!

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
" I haven't done it in awhile, but I used to always pack a Ramen Noodle package in my bag, similar to bringing your own hot cocoa or tea. Just get hot water and a cup from the lodge, put the noddles in, cap it, and you have ramen soup in a few minutes. "

I used to do that but not any more.

I realized those Ramen noodles have almost zero nutrition value!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wait, you all wash your woolens after skiing? I wear mine a lot before I do. But I ski several days per week so I'd be doing laundry constantly if I did!

I do. Especially ski socks, ew! I'll wear my base layers two or three days in a row sometimes. But my Icebreaker base layer top is getting a certain funk to it. I even washed it three times and the armpits are still not quite the same as the rest of the fabric. Sometimes I think I have extra special BO. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to it than most.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Small platypus water bottle in my pocket. I usually only fill it half full, fold it in half so it takes up less room. It carries enough water for a sip on the lift for several runs and I can refill it as necessary from the water fountain in the lodge. It doesn't hurt when you fall on it and it rarely freezes since it is close to your body, as opposed to camelbak hoses which I can never keep unfrozen.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do. Especially ski socks, ew! I'll wear my base layers two or three days in a row sometimes. But my Icebreaker base layer top is getting a certain funk to it. I even washed it three times and the armpits are still not quite the same as the rest of the fabric. Sometimes I think I have extra special BO. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to it than most.

My synthetic socks get stinky but my wool ones don't.
We all wish we had extra special BO :scared:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just grossed out by used socks once they are off my feet. But they're small enough that it's NBD to pack one for each day. I did wear them longer than I ever would have expected on my hut trip ...

My ski pants and jackets are the only thing that don't get washed after each use. Everything else; mid layers, base layers and socks get washed after each period of use. Socks get washed after literally each day of use since I have several pairs of socks. Everything else if I go away to ski for 2-3 days than when I get back from my trip these get washed. Everything else unless I spill something on it/them gets washed once a season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly