• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Divas who are musicians?

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I played the flute and piano... but am noy good at either any more...

I can play flute and piano competently and then harp at a beginner's level. I also sing. Dad was a music major, as was Nana (his mother). Dad majored in music ed with a flute focus at Northwestern University, Nana majored in music ed with a piano focus at Juliard (shortly after the depression, this amazing woman turned 98 at the end of last year). Mom sings in choirs all over the local area she lives. Harp I decided to learn in college because I was always fascinated in it as a child, took 3 semesters of lessons in college. Piano I started at age 5, flute I started in the 3rd grade, singing I started in the 4th grade.

I don't own a harp and although I do still own my flute I only ever play my piano and sing these days and not anywhere near as often as my college and high school days :smile:

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a music education major in college. Taught one year filling in for a maternity leave then could not get another teaching job...switched gears and used my education experience in computer training.

My dad taught at a special needs school for music ed for a year or two, then he got hired at the elementary school I ended up going to when I was born, and taught the computer lab from then on until he retired a few years ago.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I played the flute and piano... but am noy good at either any more...

Me three. I remember coming home in sixth grade, begging my mother to let me play flute in the band - and absolutely promising that I would continue to practice piano. Right. I played through high school in concert and marching bands, but when I got into MSU, they didn't allow women in the marching band. That pretty much ended my music career. Like missyd, I discovered not long ago that my skills had so deteriorated I needed a fingering chart and my music reading skills were pretty bad. If I could have one talent in life, it would be a lovely voice. I can't sing and it makes me so sad.

Rooted for the Redskins for the 35 years we lived in the area: what a blast to consider going out for their band!

mustski

Angel Diva
Where does he teach?

I was a drama/music double major in college. Found out I could sing at age 15, in church, which is when I also picked up the guitar. I sat for HOURS with a chord chart, placing my left-hand fingers on the fretboard with my right hand.

gardenmary, we absolutely have to meet up and go skiing! I am a theatre teacher ... including musical theatre. Contesstant and I met up over the holidays while you were in Utah :jealous: but we have to meet up so we can chat! Hopefully, this warm spell will change and we will get some snow!:goodluck:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
gardenmary, we absolutely have to meet up and go skiing! I am a theatre teacher ... including musical theatre. Contesstant and I met up over the holidays while you were in Utah :jealous: but we have to meet up so we can chat! Hopefully, this warm spell will change and we will get some snow!:goodluck:

I think change is in the air.....we'll have a Diva Day in SoCal VERY soon!!

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
I play guitar, banjo and fiddle, though definitely stronger on guitar. I played in an Irish band called 'le cheile' (pronounced la kay-lah) for over 10 years playing traditional irish dance music - it means togetherness btw - just as well I knew that because we had some right old irish 'barneys' at times. I stopped playing a few years ago which was sad, due to breaking my strumming and base picking thumb skiing ... it's never quite been the same after that... :Cry:

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
Found this while searching something else.
I play piano/keyboard, and the Ukulele. I used to play guitar but I have some metal and screws in my left wrist now which has made making chord shapes too painful. The neck on the Uke is small enough to make it bearable. I have a nice concert sized Ukulele, black and shiny -very Johnny cash (if he had played uke) I'm not that good at it yet.
I really enjoy the New Zealand Wellington Ukulele orchestra- they are so funny.
I play piano at church each Sunday and sing in our local theatre shows. I sometimes teach kids at the local school and run a kids choir. But I've not done choir this year.
I used to be in some proper church bands, with guitars, drums, sax, etc, but I now live in a small area with very few musicians. I do miss working in a group.

Check out this youtube clip of the Wellington international ukulele orchestra:

MissySki

Angel Diva
:bump:

I went to a concert recently that has gotten me back listening to a band (and actually a new band the lead singer has started as well) that I used to love in high school / college, and has further inspired me to want to learn guitar so I can play some of the music I'm enjoying so much. I've been jamming along singing so much and just have the urge to want to make the music happen too! (In full disclosure, I've never been good at picking up instruments.. or more likely the issue is I just don't dedicate the time required to it.)

When I was quite young I played some piano, supposedly I have great hands for it, long fingers and such, but I never got too into it much. My last two semesters in college I did beginner guitar classes once per week because I needed the credits to stay full time, and I'd always wanted to learn. It was fun, but had so much more theory than playing involved and I barely even got into chords the whole time I was doing it... I haven't really touched it since so now I'm pretty much going to be starting from scratch again.. which was kind of where I was anyhow haha.

Anyone have any success with online learning with instruments etc.? I've found some online guitar sites with great reviews of recorded lessons as well as live sessions where you can ask the instructors questions through webcam etc. (one in particular that seems to be highly rated is jamplay.com) I just don't have the time to fit in another lesson type thing on a regular basis with all of the other things I do now that I have to drive to, but I think something I can access anytime at home would be much easier to fit in.

Any thoughts from those who are more musically inclined than I am? :smile:

Tvan

Angel Diva
MissySki - Mr. Tvan has been learning guitar through guitar tutorials on youtube.com. I don't think he follows any one particular person, but I'll check with him.

I use the ukulele tutorials on Ukuleletricks.com. He has some really great material and a reasonable subscription fee if you want to explore even more videos and music.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have played guitar for 40 years, started in high school. I'm completely self-taught - as I mentioned before, I just got a chord chart and put my fingers where they needed to go. I've picked up techniques along the way from other musicians, though I still can't for the life of me figure out how to do harmonics on the guitar (involves a hammer technique on a string right over a fret).

Since you want to play for fun, I think the online tutorials sound like a great idea. I wish you lived closer; I'd sell you one of my extra guitars! I have five and I only ever play one.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have played guitar for 40 years, started in high school. I'm completely self-taught - as I mentioned before, I just got a chord chart and put my fingers where they needed to go. I've picked up techniques along the way from other musicians, though I still can't for the life of me figure out how to do harmonics on the guitar (involves a hammer technique on a string right over a fret).

Since you want to play for fun, I think the online tutorials sound like a great idea. I wish you lived closer; I'd sell you one of my extra guitars! I have five and I only ever play one.

I still have my guitar from college.. it's a student type Fender acoustic, so nothing special, but will be fine for me right now. Terrible, I've had it on it's stand for the last 9 years yet I've only touched it to dust it off.. I'm excited to try learning again. What type of guitars do you have in your quiver?

I'm also so impressed with people who are self taught, I just don't have that kind of musical ability, or I haven't found it yet anyway. When I was learning before it felt kind of stiff, I think it may be my science background I always want to be very exact, I think it'll serve me better to let go a little and not worry about getting every note right etc. especially to begin with! :smile:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I played the flute for 12 years, and was a vocalist for the church for 8...then I had kids. I served as my daughter's vocal teacher, so that was a $ saver! She is worlds better than I ever was, and we bought her a recording studio for her room ( I love that this technology is so affordable for the masses now!) So I help her with that on occasion. I made all three kids learn the piano and started to play it myself but never had the time to practice. I'd highly recommend the Suzuki method. You listen to the music for a week or more before you attempt to play it and I was shocked by what I could "pick up." I've often thought of looking for a community choir though, as I miss the relaxing "breathing" that singing affords.

MissySki

Angel Diva
MissySki - Mr. Tvan has been learning guitar through guitar tutorials on youtube.com. I don't think he follows any one particular person, but I'll check with him.

I use the ukulele tutorials on Ukuleletricks.com. He has some really great material and a reasonable subscription fee if you want to explore even more videos and music.

Oh interesting, maybe I'll search on youtube first for a bit before deciding to sign up for an online thing I have to pay for monthly. Though goodness the online stuff is cheap compared to in person lessons so not much risk there. The thing I liked when looking into jamplay.com was that they seem to really incorporate real songs into the mix early on. I got bored of playing like twinkle twinkle little star and such when I was learning before. I think it's rewarding to a beginner to be able to get into "cooler" stuff early on! :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I played the flute for 12 years, and was a vocalist for the church for 8...then I had kids. I served as my daughter's vocal teacher, so that was a $ saver! She is worlds better than I ever was, and we bought her a recording studio for her room ( I love that this technology is so affordable for the masses now!) So I help her with that on occasion. I made all three kids learn the piano and started to play it myself but never had the time to practice. I'd highly recommend the Suzuki method. You listen to the music for a week or more before you attempt to play it and I was shocked by what I could "pick up." I've often thought of looking for a community choir though, as I miss the relaxing "breathing" that singing affords.

I think it's awesome that you made them learn young, and your involvement is also a benefit! Just like skiing was not brought in early for me, I also really wish my parents had put more emphasis on music and languages when I was young enough that things come easier than now. Not to mention how much time you have to practice as a child compared to now. I certainly was into other activities though so I guess it's tough to complain..

All things I will definitely keep in mind when I have my own kids someday though. :smile:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I think it's awesome that you made them learn young, and your involvement is also a benefit! Just like skiing was not brought in early for me, I also really wish my parents had put more emphasis on music and languages when I was young enough that things come easier than now. Not to mention how much time you have to practice as a child compared to now. I certainly was into other activities though so I guess it's tough to complain..

All things I will definitely keep in mind when I have my own kids someday though. :smile:
It wasn't without kicking and screaming though!! They all thank me now that they are older, as each of them learned enough that they can grab pieces of interest and play ditties here and there. My youngest, who hated it the most as a child, plays the most on his own now that he is 14...so don't let their complaints discourage you! The old mom adage of "you'll thank me for this one day," could not have been more true.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still have my guitar from college.. it's a student type Fender acoustic, so nothing special, but will be fine for me right now. Terrible, I've had it on it's stand for the last 9 years yet I've only touched it to dust it off.. I'm excited to try learning again. What type of guitars do you have in your quiver?

I'm also so impressed with people who are self taught, I just don't have that kind of musical ability, or I haven't found it yet anyway. When I was learning before it felt kind of stiff, I think it may be my science background I always want to be very exact, I think it'll serve me better to let go a little and not worry about getting every note right etc. especially to begin with! :smile:
LOL, I never thought of it as a quiver but it certainly is!

I have two Aria 6-string guitars - pretty basic, entry-level stuff. One was Michael's. There's a classical acoustic that I don't know the brand of. I have a Yamaha 12-string that I want to build up the calluses for; those guitars are so beautiful. My daily driver is an Art & Lutherie 6-string - a hand-rubbed cedar top guitar made by the Godin company out of Canada. The cedar top gives it a very rich & mellow tone, not unlike the old Martins from the 40s (which, if you can find them, are thousands and thousands of dollars).

The Art & Lutherie is the only one with an integral pickup for an amp. Need to get a pickup for the 12-string.

Do you have a case for your guitar? Having it out on the stand, particularly when you are running the furnace in the winter, will eventually dry the wood out. You'll need to restring it for sure. I buy strings in bulk from stringsandbeyond.com but if you have a Guitar Center nearby they have a decent selection. You want light or medium gauge if you're starting out again.

I've been playing every day this week for Vacation Bible School and my calluses are getting built up again! Might pull that 12-string out very soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly