• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How often do you buy new boots?

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious, how many weeks do ski boots last?

I think my current ones have done about 10 weeks in total.

I'm not planning on buying new ones this season and I'm hoping they'll last a bit longer.

They're OK, but they've never been that comfortable.

I miss my Nordica superchargers which I had to take back after just one holiday because they leaked. Most comfortable boots I've ever worn :(

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
10 weeks of actual skiing, i.e., 70 days?

That's about all I've gotten out of my last 3 pairs of Tecnica's (which seem to be pack-out prone).

Any symptoms of a good fit gone bad?
If none, and no discernible sole wear, carry on.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmmm....

With all the work I have to have done on mine, I keep them until they die. My Lange WCs lasted through 3(4?) years of 45-65 days each year.

Jilly

Staff member
Yah, my Rossi's were 4 years at 50 days a year. Packed out so bad I just about left them in Colorado last spring!

I've worn them twice as the new boots have issues too. (hopefully resolved last Saturday)

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
10 weeks of actual skiing, i.e., 70 days?

That's about all I've gotten out of my last 3 pairs of Tecnica's (which seem to be pack-out prone).

Any symptoms of a good fit gone bad?
If none, and no discernible sole wear, carry on.

Well, 60 days I suppose, as each week was 6 days skiing.

Mine are Tecnica Attivas.

They're just getting slowly less comfortable with each holiday. On the last one they were letting water in so I ended up with freezing feet.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Tecnica Attivas - indeed. 70-75 days. I surely won't go with this again. :mad: Sounds to me like it is time for you to prepare to spend some money and try something different. Increased discomfort is NOT going to improve. Leaking, not sure. New boots are in your future. That's either a :smile: or :( or :mad: - depending on your point of view?

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried to just replace the liners and keep the shell? I have a pair of Salomon boots that I love and have about 90 days on them right now. The last couple of days, all of a sudden it seems they felt very loose - could have been the very cold temps - but I think the liners are just packed out. So I am going back to the boot shop to see if I can order a new liner and keep the shell. :noidea: Before now, I was always ready to get rid of my boots because I was not happy with them. The Salomons are the first pair I have ever had that I hate to give up!!

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Daria,

I've kept the shell and gotten new liners. The shells are still in good condition, so when the fit got sloppy early in season three, I had intuition liners put in them. I'm close to 40 more days so far with these liners, in the middle of my fourth year enjoying them!

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
60-75 days? Jeez, I would be buying new boots multiple times a year on that program!! I ski 6 days/week (roughly 25 days/month) for 5 months/year and usually keep my boots 3 seasons. That's about 375 days give or take.

My usual MO is to start with the stock liners and replace with foam liners once they've broken down. I can't remember how long that takes off the top of my head but I started on new ones this season so I will keep you updated with their progress! Foam liners last forever (I have Sidas Conformable Pro) so you only need to buy them once and transfer boot to boot.

In my experience the plastic of the shell doesn't hold out much more than 400 days, the boots start to fold up like cardboard and become useless. I try not to let it get to that stage....

Here's a disclaimer: I'm in a WC race boot. With a softer boot YMMV. Also, you may need a new boot sooner than the boot itself wears out if your skill level changes. Make sure you check the boot soles for wear as this may compromise binding release. Wear cat tracks.

That's it!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tecnica Attivas - indeed. 70-75 days. I surely won't go with this again. :mad: Sounds to me like it is time for you to prepare to spend some money and try something different. Increased discomfort is NOT going to improve. Leaking, not sure. New boots are in your future. That's either a :smile: or :( or :mad: - depending on your point of view?

Hmmm, I was hoping they'd last longer than 10 ski holidays! Ah well, my Austria trip this month will probably be the last one this season .. boooo .. and they'll have to do (new skis were needed more urgently, can't afford boots as well!).

New ones for next season then! Which is a little bit :( because of the cost but mostly :smile: because I've never been overly keen on mine. I have very wide feet and a high instep which makes fitting a pain.

60-75 days? Jeez, I would be buying new boots multiple times a year on that program!! I ski 6 days/week (roughly 25 days/month) for 5 months/year and usually keep my boots 3 seasons. That's about 375 days give or take.

Well exactly, instructors can't go buying new boots every five minutes, which is why I thought mine would have lasted another few holidays.

I've bought some bootgloves which should keep my feet warmer and help the leaking issue anyway.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read somewhere about 120 days is average, I guess maybe race boots last longer? I had about 80 days on my boots and they were definitely feeling sloppy so I contacted the guy I bought them from and he suggested putting a thin layer of something (he suggested linoleum) under the footbed in the liner. I did this and the fit is much better now, it's just taken up the space that had appeared with the stock liners packing out. I guess a better but more expensive option would have been to get new foam liners.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Way too often! I have been skiing for 3 years and have bought 3 boots so far. The previous 2 were too high volume for me. These ones should last me a while as I can customize it lots, plus I have intuition liners in them. So I 've had 100 days and 3 boots so far.:( Ouch for the pocketbook.

AussieSkiWomen

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone tried to just replace the liners and keep the shell? I have a pair of Salomon boots that I love and have about 90 days on them right now. The last couple of days, all of a sudden it seems they felt very loose - could have been the very cold temps - but I think the liners are just packed out. So I am going back to the boot shop to see if I can order a new liner and keep the shell. :noidea: Before now, I was always ready to get rid of my boots because I was not happy with them. The Salomons are the first pair I have ever had that I hate to give up!!

Try Sierra Trading Post - they have liners on line.

New Boots, first day, I had to get someone to fit some foam padding in the bottom of the foot and that worked a treat. They gave me some more to carry with me incase they become loose or uncomfortable again.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Great info!! :smile: I'm hoping mine last for awhile. I already have about 30-40 days on them and they feel like brand new. I had the heat moldable stock liners and then a custom footbed and that was it.

Mine are the Atomic Hawx 110 (2009 maybe??).

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I end up replacing boots when they have totally given up the ghost. I guess I'm working in my boots somewhere around forty five weeks a year, four days a week. I hate to think how many hours an average pair of boots does in my ownership.

I did buy a new pair of boots a couple of years ago, but I've gone back to my old boots. I hate to think how many hours they have notched up. The inners are falling to bits and the flex is getting a bit interesting!! They're nearing permanent retirement!!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bootfitter advised me to expect about 125 days of skiing from my new boots. Sounds like that is in line with what other people are getting...

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Bootfitter advised me to expect about 125 days of skiing from my new boots. Sounds like that is in line with what other people are getting...

Interesting. I'm at about that and commented yesterday that they were starting to feel a tiny bit loose. New boots next season for sure. I have to buy early in the season as I have really small feet and selection is limited if I wait too long.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna