• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone into American Football?

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday was a really hard training. The first one with the new shoulder pad. I also made some adjustements on the internal padding of the helmet. The pad is great! I can lift my arms very well and catch the football easily. First I had some receiver training for 1h ... we where 2QB and 2 receiver ... this means you have to run all the time! Very tiring but I managed to catch most passes! Very nice. Its just very nice if the football flyes very nice and you just have to pick it out of the sky!!! :becky:
Then we did a scrimmage 6 against 6 ... first I was with the offense. Catched a nice 5-in pass and was then tackled very hard. You may now the situation ... you catch the football and BAAAAAMMMM your hit hard!!! This would have been a first down for shure. This is wonderful!!! I never managed to catch a pass in a scrimmage before. Then I played cornerback for some time. To end the scrimmage I played right Linebacker. Forced the runningback to fumble the ball and helped at some tackles. I must say playing a scrimmage at the end of the training is the best part of it!!!! I am still no shure if I can tackle properly but I will find out soon ... next tuesday.
My body is a little sore today ... stiff muscles and my back hurts a little bit form the hard hit I took as receiver.
I never really played offense in tackle football only defensive positions it was great fun paying in the offense. Just run your passing route and get hit if you carry the ball. Getting hit is easier ... :becky::becky:
Hope to get my body in shape again till this evening for some more training at the fitness center ... maybe just for some rowing and cycling. :becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I wish I had your energy!

I wish I could just throw a football! I never was very good at that!

I admire your passion and your dedication.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@vanhoskier: Its my passion ... I always go to the limit for the training as my body is a little older than the others in the team.
I can trow the football quite well. But I wont play as quarterback #2 .... sad but true ... no idea which position the coach choose for me ... I think receiver ...

@Delawhere: Distances are measured in Yards (1Yard = 0.91Meters).
Most passes are catched at 5-10yards ... but it could be trown less or more ....

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update 20.Oct.2010:
Training is still outside ... we had wind, rain and temps as low as 41F (5°C) .... I tried to warm up my muscles as good as possible ... but it seems that wasn't enough ... from the beginning I had problems with my muscle in the left upper leg .... I did my best but it got worse and worse .... We did some 45min scrimmage at the end and I played as linebacker. 2-3 tackles was all I managed to do ... impossible to run very fast because of the muscle pain .... I managed to do a QB sack but unfortunately I touched the facemask .... not what you should do in a real game!!!! Never mind .... I liked the expression of our QBs face as she realized that her gameplay did not work as she wanted .... its was nice because we also can tackle hard and it was soo wet & muddy which is even more fun!!!!
I was so stiff from the cold in the end that I had real problems changing clothes ... I think I had never soo cold skiing as I had today in football training .... Luckily today my muscle is much better and the rest of the body is not too sore .... :becky::becky:
I'll will maybe go to the fitness center today for some light training on the bike .... we'll see that later ....
Next week more news from the old girl playing football!!! :smile:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a little update concerning the fitness center .... I have always problems with the muscles on the inside of my upper legs ... I think they are called adductors. I discussed that with my fitness trainer and he showed me 2 other machines where I can train the adductors on the inside of the leg and the muscles on the outside .... I wish I had done these exercices a few weeks ago .... I also added the treadmill to my exercises .... specially to walk backwards on it!!! Not very easy but with some care you can do it quite fast .... this will train certain muscles in the legs too. Now my training programme lasts for nearly 2 hours!!!
or even longer if I do 30mins of cycling ....
If somebody would have told me that one day I would spend so much time in the fitness center .... my reply would have been: never ever!!!!
My body will also be very fit for skiing/snowboarding .... !!!!!:becky::becky:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Update 20.Oct.2010:
Training is still outside ... we had wind, rain and temps as low as 41F (5°C) .... I tried to warm up my muscles as good as possible ... but it seems that wasn't enough ... from the beginning I had problems with my muscle in the left upper leg .... I did my best but it got worse and worse .... We did some 45min scrimmage at the end and I played as linebacker. 2-3 tackles was all I managed to do ... impossible to run very fast because of the muscle pain .... I managed to do a QB sack but unfortunately I touched the facemask .... not what you should do in a real game!!!! Never mind .... I liked the expression of our QBs face as she realized that her gameplay did not work as she wanted .... its was nice because we also can tackle hard and it was soo wet & muddy which is even more fun!!!!
I was so stiff from the cold in the end that I had real problems changing clothes ... I think I had never soo cold skiing as I had today in football training .... Luckily today my muscle is much better and the rest of the body is not too sore .... :becky::becky:
I'll will maybe go to the fitness center today for some light training on the bike .... we'll see that later ....
Next week more news from the old girl playing football!!! :smile:

I thought I used to be pretty athletic....but when I read this, I just want to go sit in a hot tub!:redface:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought I used to be pretty athletic....but when I read this, I just want to go sit in a hot tub!:redface:

I wish I could sit in a hot tub after such a freezing cold training .... :becky:
Strangely its always later you think: I must be crazy doing this just for fun .... I wont do it again!!!!
And a week later you do it again and again and again .... :becky::becky::becky:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now my workout is as I wished .... most of the muscles trained .... walking fast backward on the treadmill is rather funny .... I stayed 20mins on the treadmill and some 8-10min where backwards .... my gosh its tiring to walk backwards .... but it strenghten my muscles in the back of the legs and maybe my knee aches will get better (always have knee aches walking/running backwards) too.
I hope temps will be a little higher tomorrow or/and it will not rain ... I just start shivering if I think of last training .... BRRRRRRRRRRR .... :rolleyes:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahhhh .... bad luck yesterday .... still very cold temps for a training outside ... its just no fun anymore!
The training ground was too soggy that I slipped all the time ... nearly sprained my left foot as I played cornerback ... :rolleyes:
Then I managed to tackle our fastes runningback ... but after the tackle I had such pains under my scapula and brathing was very difficult .... oh my god!!!! The pains where very nasty .... I had to give up training before it ended.
In the end I decided to visit the emergency room near where I live (after 2.5h driving back to switzerland in pains). They checked everything and did an x-ray ... nothing broken. Looks like I 'sprained' the muscle around the scapula ... really really bad luck ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I wanted to go skiing saturday .... :(
Ok ladies .... I wont give up football just because of some nasty pains .... hope next week everything is ok again!!!! :loco::loco:

Jenny

Angel Diva
OK - so recapping your last posts you hurt, are freezing cold, get nasty muddy dirty, and have to exercise like mad to be in shape just to have this much fun? :smile:

AND it keeps you from skiing?

I'm with Vanhoskier - give me the hot tub (and a drink)!

Glad you're having fun, though. It's been a long time since I played anything as hard as you do. Paintball probably came the closest in terms of dirt and pain, but I doubt I've done anything with as much dedication as you have.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Jenny .... dedication is what you need to do it!
OK ... good news ... yesterday in the evening I was able to move my shoulder carefully in all directions and HEY!!!! the trapped nerve/muscle freed itself ... so most of the pains are gone and I can look forward to the next weekend ... maybe I'll go skiing ... :becky:

I must add that I am not not happy about the training in he moment ... not because its freezing cold and wet and muddy ... its the fact that as I play receiver/cornerback/linebacker we just always run passing routes for 45mins followed by a scrimmage for the rest of the training. Its really not very interesting .... I wish I would learn something more about techniques etc .... or perhaps a special CB/LB training .... or some tackle exercises .... I wont ask the coach for it anymore .... did that already and his reply was not so positive ....

I wont give up my fream to play american football but I am really not shure if we (the team) can reach our goal for next season without a better training......

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Hey, I can fully understand the passion and desire to play a sport like this, and put up with the injuries and discomforts. However, now that I've had an injury that has created some problems, I mostly want to maintain the ability to move well throughout my life with balance and agility and decent strength, and have fun! If that means cutting out some extremes, so be it.

Listen to your body. Get professional advice on any injuries sustained, and take care of yourself so that you are also to be able to enjoy skiing and cycling as well.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're right .... but I never got any good advice from the doctors. I prefer to listen to my body and do what I can and what I want. My ski season will be much better as I am fit for it. :becky:
Anyway ... I will cut down the football traing during winter to a minimum and concentrate on skiing and getting fitter with the help of the fitness center. So I may reach my goal and have my body in perfect shape next spring. :D

SkiPow

Certified Ski Diva
Hey, I can fully understand the passion and desire to play a sport like this, and put up with the injuries and discomforts. However, now that I've had an injury that has created some problems, I mostly want to maintain the ability to move well throughout my life with balance and agility and decent strength, and have fun! If that means cutting out some extremes, so be it.

Listen to your body. Get professional advice on any injuries sustained, and take care of yourself so that you are also to be able to enjoy skiing and cycling as well.

Amen!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a trapped nerve near the scapula .... found that out with the help of the university of zurich homepage .... :becky:

Some of you prefer not to take too much risks and not get injured etc etc .... but live without my favorite sport is not very interesting.
I could sit at home and be a couch potatoe like most of my friends .... but no ... I do a dangerous sport and had many small injuries but I had never a serious injury apart of my shoulder 10 years ago ... :smile:

Pains are nearly gone and I can move my torso freely and breathe normally my lower body is ok I will go to do some exercises later in the day ... just exercises for the legs and belly ... and tuesday football training as usual ... its the last training outside.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Some of you prefer not to take too much risks and not get injured etc etc .... but live without my favorite sport is not very interesting.
I could sit at home and be a couch potatoe like most of my friends .... but no ...

I totally understand this. I teach high school. It can get repetitious, and at other times, very stressful, depending on what's going on. Very rarely does another adult at school give me any kind of validation...it's just the nature of the beast. So, taking part in intense sports was always a way for me to relieve stress and feel good about myself. Dealing with a knee injury, then a scary kayaking accident, made me re-evaluate things a bit. Now that I'm working on regaining my strength and balance I'll be back out there; however, not at the competitive level I once was. This time, I'll just be competing with myself. :smile:

(You are fortunate to live where you do. A close friend did Le Tour du Mont Blanc this past summer and her pictures were amazing).

OK, :focus:

Keep on telling us of our football adventures!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok here the next report of my football career!!!!
I did a very good warm-up session today. No pains today. All muscles ok. Training was as usual .... not too much running today .... a short scrimmage at the end. I did not manage to do one single tackle. I played cornerback and Conny the receiver is very quick ... too quick for me!!! Luckily the QB trow most passes incomplete .... just one was catched so I did not have much to do .... but running like mad after Conny ... :rolleyes:

I thought about how the football training was 11 years ago in Switzerland. First with the Zurich Renegades Ladies and then with the Zurich Lightnings.
Warmup, drills, tackle drills, blocking drills, and maybe a scrimmage at the end. Somtimes we had trainings just like the boys have. Really hard training ... a little bit like in a boot camp. But why isn't it the same in Germany?
Every training just passing routes and a scrimmage in the end ... I really don't know if I can do that for a long time .... I mean I need a lot of motivation to drive all the way to Germany .... my only motivation at the moment are the games we will have next year. And that my body will be fit .... sorry but today I do not feel very happy after the training .... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is not much to write ... my trapped nerve is still not ok 100% ... my arm looses some feeling when I sleep specially after I went to the gym ... the nerve will get back to normal in a few weeks time I hope.
Today would have been the last training outside. Its quite cold this week and wet so there will be no training for me today. I dont like training in these freezing temps ... it just do no good to my old bones.
I take a break from training at least till January 2011. So perhaps the shoulder and my right hand (one player stood on it with the cleats) will heal completely. My right forefoot has also a problem where my little toe hit something at home ... hope to get that OK again too.
And I may be able to go skiing instead of football training.
I will have a serious chat with the headchoach soon ... I have to know if he will change the actual training to a more interesting one in winter/spring or if he does the same things all year round.
I still can't understand why the training isn't more versatile ... they play in the second german womans footballdivision and training is worse than 8yr. old kiddies would have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly