• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Getting through the off season

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I normally did only some cycling ... but as you may know I started playing american football again. So in the off season I am busy with it and get my body into shape and playing as much as I can with my "sisters".
I am not shure how many skiing day I can do this winter ... at the moment winter is my off-season. :becky:

altagirl

Staff member
I was just thinking about it and to be honest, I think my "off-season" is just about over. Really, spring and fall are now my favorites, as it's the best weather for biking and I always hit this lazy bah humbug stage when the heat is at it's worst.

But I rode my bike to work this morning and was almost cold, which felt wonderful! And we head up to Whistler in about 10 days, so I can't wait!

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had very little luck this summer with losing the weight I've wanted to shed for the last 18 months - I have only lost about five pounds - but had a real boost to my mental approach to fitness this week. I really didn't think I was doing that much as the leg muscles are still "well insulated" but in the corporate stairclimb event (ground floor to 20th) I improved on my April time of 4 min 37 sec to do it in 2 min 15 sec this last week. That small success has given me a real incentive to work harder to get in shape for the ski season.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm finishing up dragon boat racing season this week. I can still paddle my kayak or canoe though. But its getting cooler. At the last DB race I was wearing an old base layer, then my team shirt (dry-tec stuff) and then a soft shell jacket. That's enough, I don't like layering for summer sports.

So, the month of October is going to be finding all my winter gear and gettting that organized. Also getting stuff ready to move back to the condo in November.

And as of Friday, I've lost 10lbs in 2 weeks of strict dieting! 25 is the goal!

Kim Kircher

Certified Ski Diva
I bike and run all summer. I also try to hike and climb. I like near the Cascades, and every summer I try to climb one of them and ski it. It's as good as it gets for off-season conditioning. This year, the rainy weather kept me off the higher peaks, but I've been getting some good hikes in. I try to run down to work the quads, which always works.

Rosie Facer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the kind words of congratulations.

I'm finishing up dragon boat racing season this week. I can still paddle my kayak or canoe though. But its getting cooler. At the last DB race I was wearing an old base layer, then my team shirt (dry-tec stuff) and then a soft shell jacket. That's enough, I don't like layering for summer sports.

So, the month of October is going to be finding all my winter gear and gettting that organized. Also getting stuff ready to move back to the condo in November.

And as of Friday, I've lost 10lbs in 2 weeks of strict dieting! 25 is the goal!

:clap: That is amazing. I wish I had your self discipline.

Unfortunately although the wet coast has been living up to its name, its reputation for mild conditions is also alive and well with freezing levels here around 3500m on the forecasts. Ski season seems such a long way off.

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
Living in SoCal, I am lucky to be able to play tennis year long. I am addicted and I am ok with that.
I also kickbox, cross train and inline skate.

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Living in SoCal...
I also kickbox, cross train and inline skate.

Another inline skater!!! Where do you skate in SoCal? What kind of skates? Where do you ski?

I spent my first 40 years in SoCal. I grew up in Cypress and after college (UC Davis) moved to the San Gorgonio Pass area. Growing up, we skied Snow Summit and then Goldmine, now called Bear Mountain.

Can you tell I miss SoCal? <sigh>

B

B.E.G.

I'm already sad thinking about the end of ski season! This year has been great for getting fit and getting into physical activities (I'm really a bookworm at heart). I'm hoping to keep up my gym routine (I do kickboxing, zumba and vinyasa yoga) in the off-season, and I need to find a fun summer activity to take the place of skiing. My friend suggested golf, but I want something more active, or tennis, but I hate win-lose activities (I am a super competitive person but as my mom analyzed, I can't win ALL the time and I hate to lose, so I just dislike activities that involve winning and losing :P). I am thinking of taking up rockclimbing instead....

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
Delawhere- I skate on the strand that parallels the ocean through Venice, Santa Monica and Topanga. I usually go for 6-8 miles.
I am a K2 skate gal and just bought a pair of Alexis BOAs. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet but can't wait.
As for skiing, I have a pass for Mammoth so I go there alot.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I love tennis almost as much as skiing and I play year round here in NYC. I'm a 3.5 player. I've been trying to get better at doubles (my net game is just awful) so I've been doing a weekly clinic for the past two months. I hadn't taken any lessons since learning to play when I was in my teens and I have to say, it's been fantastic.

I bike but only when the temperature is above 50 degrees (yep, I'm a wimp that way). I also hit the gym regularly: 3-4 times a week in winter, twice in summer, when there are more outdoors options. This has really helped me get the most out of skiing.

B

B.E.G.

My friend is trying to get me to learn tennis with her this summer, but I'm just not into keeping score :P I think I'll take up golf and take lessons this summer - then I can start acquiring new fun gear :smile: Though clubs aren't as pretty as skis....

teppaz

Angel Diva
Racquets are almost as pretty as skis! It's true that acquiring gear is part of the fun. When I bought a new racquet last summer, I really enjoyed demo'ing several of them, and I spent hours reading reviews.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took up triathlon and then running to keep me occupied in the summer. I used to hate running but now really love it. Spring training starts on March 8th for my running club. My plan is posted in my cubicle at work so I see it every day. :D I'm competitve but in these sports I only get competitive with myself and maybe if I'm catching someone at the end of a race I might compete a bit there. But there's no win/lose for me.

smartjingle

Certified Ski Diva
Swimming ~ I used to do it competitively, but then school got in the way and I quit the team. :( I want to pick it back up though, especially in the summer.

I also play tennis, really fun and keeps me on my toes ~

Some biking, some off-trail but only on flats; I cannot control my speed that well and those narrow ridges and cliffs are way too scary for me.

In the summer I also usually go camping, so some canoeing and hiking gets tossed in there. :P

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rollerblade, kayak, stand up paddle board and ride my bike. Also walk a couple miles per day. Had to curtail the walking quite bit due to foot issues, so now can only do it about 4x/wk or foot problems return.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm trying to get back into a running routine. We're also going to continue our "Sports Sunday" rhythm with our ski buddies by hiking, kayaking, doing the ropes course, taking archery lessons...basically anything that will keep us 1) active and 2) doing stuff together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly